Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    There was a video 2 years ago pitting a G2 against a SHO in identical, side by side Z521s. The G2 was 100 yards ahead of the SHO before they had gone 1/8 of a mile and continued to pull away.
    Do keep in mind that the G2 could very well have the strongest low and mid-range torque, but once at maximum RPM's they both have the exact same HP rating (+ tolerance). So while the G2 gets the holeshot, it should not be able to increase it's lead once turning at top RPM's, unless the G2 250 shown in the video is putting out well over 250 + tolerance.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    There was a video 2 years ago pitting a G2 against a SHO in identical, side by side Z521s. The G2 was 100 yards ahead of the SHO before they had gone 1/8 of a mile and continued to pull away.

This pretty well solved the mystery but I am sure there will be some negative comments coming from the brand X side.

3. Banned
    No negative comments about the merits of the G2 engine from this camp.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, the G2 looks like it may be the best engine out there, but.......... what amounts to misleading advertising bugs me. Let the motors all stand on their own merits.
    I take it that Yamaha wanted the 200 at a certain price point, therefore the 4 cyl 2.8 engine.
    If you want a different comparison, put the 2.7L 150 G2 up against the Merc Verado 1.7. 200. Less displacement for the 4 stroke, huge advantage to the 2-stroke. But the result? Probably different than the Yamaha 200 vs. G2 150.
    I do not understand how you think this test does not let the engines "stand on their own merits"-a test done by someone not employed by either company,runs both engine-(one being a 200HP) and they both reach recommended WOT RPM but when running on only one engine the smaller HP engine gets the boat out of the hole and even went to the trouble of propping down the 200HP and swapping sides to see if that would help.I agree a test with say the L4 200HP Merc would be cool to see but having run that engine I doubt that the result would be much different-I hope they do it as well as against the new Suzuki 200HP,but we could also say let the other guys"disprove"wha t this video shows if they think it is misleading advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    The amazing thing about this motor is it is the big guy G2 3.4 is starboard/starboard exhaust but their little brothers are standard exhaust. And the 2.7 G2 still beats the Hammer.
    the Boat in the video, the style ya want now a days Fred? recall while back you said something about a bay boat?

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    I do not understand how you think this test does not let the engines "stand on their own merits"-a test done by someone not employed by either company,runs both engine-(one being a 200HP) and they both reach recommended WOT RPM but when running on only one engine the smaller HP engine gets the boat out of the hole and even went to the trouble of propping down the 200HP and swapping sides to see if that would help.I agree a test with say the L4 200HP Merc would be cool to see but having run that engine I doubt that the result would be much different-I hope they do it as well as against the new Suzuki 200HP,but we could also say let the other guys"disprove"what this video shows if they think it is misleading advertising.
    The biggest problem with the test was the boat they chose to do the test. They put a 150 and a 200 on a big heavy boat rated for a 400. Evinrude chose this boat by design. Yamaha built a 200 out of a 2.8L 4 cylinder powerhead, for whatever reason. I personally would never stand in line for the F200 for this particular reason, and I'm sure Evinrude chose it for the same reason that I wouldn't chose it. A 2.8L normally aspirated 4-stroke will never run with 2.7L 2-stroke, and that's not an Evinrude thing; it's basic engine technology 101.
    Now the Merc Verado 200hp with a 2.7 powerhead is a whole different animal. That blower motor is going to be in a whole different torque world when compared to the Yamaha, and probably when compared to the G2. But that's not the engine Evinrude chose to hang off the back of that big boat when filming an advertising video. They weren't going pick an engine that would give their motor a run for the money.
    If Evinrude figures their G2 150 is equal to the F200, then they should have put them on the back of a bass boat rated for a 200.

7. Member
    Let's say that boat had twin Yammie F200-so max HP for that hull, do you still think that boat would plane with one I-4 F200 pushing it thru the water? I would think taking a deep vee heavy hull and doing this test proves more so the torque of the G2 than say using a shallow vee light weight hull-but I guess we can agree to disagree.

As I said I have used the L4 Vrod and nice enough engine but can not hold a candle to the L6 Vrod in the 200HP class and if you mean do the same test with the L6 Verado then yes I agree it would outperform the 150HP G2 but a fairer test would be the big block G2 to the L6. After running a fair few 150HP G2's now and the L4 Vrod my money would be on the G2 still and the extra weight of the L6 Mercury may be too much for this hull I imagine. As for your bass boat test, not possible to fit to twin engines to one-if they did the test by changing engines half way thru the test yes possible and it would be good to see, but my money would still be on the G2 and again the FACTS are it is a 200HP vs a 150HP so not somehting most would call a fair test and most would say I imagine the advantage should be in favor of the 200HP whoever makes it. Here the Yamaha F200 costs a fair bit more than a 150HP G2 also.

From what I hear boattest may have done a test with the same boat but this time running a M vs Y so that will be interesting to see and let the next round of internet "this and that" start.

8. Banned
    I agree that the test is completely unfair. That big heavy hull against one under powered motor. Yet the G2 still got up on plane and ran 26 mph. If you can't watch that video a realize what a testimonial to the power these motors have, ...............

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    I agree that the test is completely unfair. That big heavy hull against one under powered motor. Yet the G2 still got up on plane and ran 26 mph. If you can't watch that video a realize what a testimonial to the power these motors have, ...............
    It was still scripted to guarantee a certain outcome.
    Yamaha stepping down from the 200 V6 to an I4 doesn't make sense, but that's why Evinrude chose that combo for the "test".

10. Banned
    Yamaha stepping down from the 200 V6 to an I4 doesn't make sense, but that's why Evinrude chose that combo for the "test".
    Queue Ranger Rodney proverb here.....

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Maybe because there is no 4 cylinder G2.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    the Boat in the video, the style ya want now a days Fred? recall while back you said something about a bay boat?
    Yep still do. Wanna buy mine?

13. Banned
    Yamaha stepping down from the 200 V6 to an I4 doesn't make sense, for Yamaha.
    It's a 200, but due to the small displacement, it has to be down on mid-range HP and torque compared to just about any other 200, and most 150's. It would make just about any other manufacturer's 200 or 150 look great out of the hole.
    The G2 150 can't do anything other than be really strong out of the hole; 2.7L rated at 150HP. My 115 Optimax is only 1.5L and rated at only 35HP less that the G2. The G2 150 is close to double the displacement of my Merc, but is rated at only 35HP more. My 1.5L is stretching it to reach 115HP, while the 2.7L G2 is detuned (on top) to give it a 150 rating, which translates to awesome low and mid-range power, and a perfect motor to compare holeshots to a low displacement 200HP 4-stroke.
    Without a doubt, the G2 150 will likely have the strongest mid-range power in the 150HP class.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You keep bringing up Evinrude this Evinrude that for this particular test. The gentleman that performed the test states right in the beginning of the video that HE contacted Evinrude and HE selected the Hull for testing. I guess in my mind isn't displacement, displacement? Does it matter if it is an I-4 or a V-6 as long as the CC's are close? The HO can go 10% over stated HP. The 150,175 and 200 are all the same block the difference is the HO has a different MAP for the EMM.

15. Banned
    Yamaha stepping down from the 200 V6 to an I4 doesn't make sense, for Yamaha.
    It's a 200, but due to the small displacement, it has to be down on mid-range HP and torque compared to just about any other 200, and most 150's. It would make just about any other manufacturer's 200 or 150 look great out of the hole.
    The G2 150 can't do anything other than be really strong out of the hole; 2.7L rated at 150HP. My 115 Optimax is only 1.5L and rated at only 35HP less that the G2. The G2 150 is close to double the displacement of my Merc, but is rated at only 35HP more. My 1.5L is stretching it to reach 115HP, while the 2.7L G2 is detuned (on top) to give it a 150 rating, which translates to awesome low and mid-range power, and a perfect motor to compare holeshots to a low displacement 200HP 4-stroke.
    Without a doubt, the G2 150 will likely have the strongest mid-range power in the 150HP class.
    If you own a Mercury, why are you so invested, in the Evinrude/Johnson forum, in proving, in your mind only, that somehow a 150 Hp rated Evinrude can't beat a 200 hp rated Yamaha?
    Really don't get what your trying to prove other than you hate everything Evinrude. What's your big payoff?
    Nova Scotia must be pretty dang boring right now.

16. Banned
    Also let me add. There are many salt water boats that are rated for twin 150's and twin 200's. Evinrude proved with this video that a 150 HO can easily fulfill the need of that market and outperform a Yamaha, Which is a popular salt water motor. The marketing is ingenious.
    Haven driven a Grady White with 2 150 Yamaha's, my father's boat. We had to come in from 15 miles out of Port on one engine. It was a long trip that got us back after sunset. Simple fix for the motor but my father sold the boat the next season for twin v8 mercruisers.
    Which motor do you want in an emergency and only one will run? I'll take 26 mph every time.
    But you can stay out there and proclaim it's not fair all you want. I won't stop you.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You keep bringing up Evinrude this Evinrude that for this particular test. The gentleman that performed the test states right in the beginning of the video that HE contacted Evinrude and HE selected the Hull for testing. I guess in my mind isn't displacement, displacement? Does it matter if it is an I-4 or a V-6 as long as the CC's are close? The HO can go 10% over stated HP. The 150,175 and 200 are all the same block the difference is the HO has a different MAP for the EMM.
    Go back to the link in post #1. The boating editor didn't select the boat for his test. He said he tested the same boat that Evinrude used to make their advertisement.

I don't have to explain 2-stroke displacement vs. 4-stroke displacement to you, but I do for many others.
    It's a given that a 4-stroke has to run considerably more displacement to put out the same torque and horsepower as a 2-stroke.

18. Banned
    Also let me add. There are many salt water boats that are rated for twin 150's and twin 200's. Evinrude proved with this video that a 150 HO can easily fulfill the need of that market and outperform a Yamaha, Which is a popular salt water motor. The marketing is ingenious.
    Haven driven a Grady White with 2 150 Yamaha's, my father's boat. We had to come in from 15 miles out of Port on one engine. It was a long trip that got us back after sunset. Simple fix for the motor but my father sold the boat the next season for twin v8 mercruisers.
    Which motor do you want in an emergency and only one will run? I'll take 26 mph every time.
    But you can stay out there and proclaim it's not fair all you want. I won't stop you.
    Can't disagree with that statement. ^^

19. Banned
    If you own a Mercury, why are you so invested, in the Evinrude/Johnson forum, in proving, in your mind only, that somehow a 150 Hp rated Evinrude can't beat a 200 hp rated Yamaha?
    Really don't get what your trying to prove other than you hate everything Evinrude. What's your big payoff?
    Nova Scotia must be pretty dang boring right now.
    Never did I ever say that ^^^^
    What I have said it that the G2 is potentially the best motor out there. I have nothing bad to say about it, only good.

20. Banned
    Should you want more info on the "comparison", read the entire thread in the original link. VERY telling.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast