Now that Tenkiller is above normal.......

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/TENK.lakepage.html

, can we expect the "new lake" syndrome to kick in????
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

It wasn't low for years to allow brush and tree growth along the shores, so I doubt it.
    Skiatook on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    Skiatook...now there's a lake I hadn't thought of in a long time. Is it back? It wouldn't take me much longer to get there than it does Arbuckle or Murray.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Skiatook...now there's a lake I hadn't thought of in a long time. Is it back? It wouldn't take me much longer to get there than it does Arbuckle or Murray.
    March 25th there were 2 fish over 9 and one over 8 weighed in out of 66 boats. I went the following weekend and caught a 5.6 and 2 over 4. I've caught 2 smallmouth over 5 there also. It's a finicky lake, but when it's good, it's good. The smallmouth population has really boomed in the past few years.

You can catch a ton of fish on Skiatook and occasionally stumble across a few good ones. It's a totally different lake than a few years ago.
    When the smallmouth are biting it can be plumb stupid how many you can catch.
    Lots of fat little largies too, while I have been catching a lot fewer spots(which is good IMO).
    It's definitely not all small fish either as my dad put an 8.04 largie in the boat this winter and I had a 5.97 smallie a few weeks ago along with a 6.15 in December.
    I'd say the last few years rains following the years of being many feet low is going to bode quite well for Skiatook in the coming years. There are tons of new cover in the lake.

I've always wanted to fish Skiatook but I always got the impression from the guys on Bass Zone that it was the "dead sea". I think it had a great reputation back in the 90's. A friend of mine from Michigan heard about it all the way up there and asked me about it. I'm anxious to find another lake while they finish all the work on I-35. Getting down to Arbuckle has become a real PIA.

Couple of question....

What is the best ramp to hit coming up the turnpike from Edmond?

What part of the lake should a guy go who's never been there before?

Does it get a lot of tourist traffic?....seadoos and skiers?

Ken, sorry about highjacking your thread.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I've always wanted to fish Skiatook but I always got the impression from the guys on Bass Zone that it was the "dead sea". I think it had a great reputation back in the 90's. A friend of mine from Michigan heard about it all the way up there and asked me about it. I'm anxious to find another lake while they finish all the work on I-35. Getting down to Arbuckle has become a real PIA.

Couple of question....

What is the best ramp to hit coming up the turnpike from Edmond?

What part of the lake should a guy go who's never been there before?

Does it get a lot of tourist traffic?....seadoos and skiers?

Ken, sorry about highjacking your thread.
    I haven't fished took in years, it used to be a spotted bass factory 20-30 1lbrs a day, it has really came on as a smallmouth lake in the last 5-6 years. The lower lake is the smallmouth area, upper lake largies, spots just about anywhere, if you like fishing for hybrids it' probably the best lake in the state. It's a clean water lake so yes the the seadoos and party barge crowd are thick as fleas on any nice weekend, there are a couple of areas around the highway 20 bridge that they raft off by the dozens. As far as ramps I like Hominy ramp, two lanes and plenty of parking and a good paved road into it, stay away from Tall Chief on weekends it's a fricken zoo.

If you take the TP through Tulsa up to Highway 20, the Osage ramp is right before the bridge over the lake. If you cross the lake on 20 going west, Black Dog ramp is the largest launch on the lake and it is just west of the bridge.
    Some arms of the lake have lots of timber left, so if you see trees, slow down. Some points go a ways out into the lake, but most of the dangerous ones are marked with buoys.
    You can catch smallies throughout the lake, but below the 20 bridge is where they are more plentiful. You can catch largemouths throughout the lake, but the timbered creeks usually kick out the better fish.
    Being so close to Tulsa it does get pleasure traffic, but it's nothing like the circus you'd find on Grand. Go back up into a creek and the wave makers usually won't be an issue.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Just looking at Google Maps, it appears that me getting off at Bristow and going up 48 and 64 to 20 to the Hominy ramp is the best way for me. That way I avoid the confusing interstate exchanges and Tulsa traffic. Might try to make it on a weekday...I hate seadoos.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Just drove up and looked at Skiatook. Highest I've ever seen it. The water is up to the light pole in the Tall Chief parking lot. If you like the picnic table pattern now is the time!

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS