Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Was fishing with my dad on the nurse river in nc and we were throwing t-rigid curly tail worms and dragging them. I got broke off at the boat by a mud fish and while we were laughing about that my dad had laid his rod down to help me. Well we heard a slight movement and splash the rod was gone. About 2 hours lat er in the same pocket we seen it floating but everytime we went for it the fish drug it back under. Finally we paddled up to it and he grabbed it. Ended up being a 4lb bass. At the time it was my dad's pb bass. We still talk about that day

Have thrown a worm out and backlashes, sat down to pick it out, got it all gathered up and when I went bring my bait in there was a fish on it. This has happened several times.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

3. Member
    Fishing a tourney. Switching between a Ribbit and a senko. I laid the senko rod down with bait in the water, rod started to go crazy. A keeper had jumped on it right against the boat.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgerbass View Post
    Not really a catching story...but strange. I was on lake of the ozarks last week throwing a Megabass 110 down a bluff wall when I hooked a decent bass, line must have been knicked and he broke me off at the boat. About 30 yards down the bank and 5 minutes later the fish jumped about 10 feet out from the bluff wall and threw my bait onto the bluff wall about chest level and I got it back!!
    Now that was lucky.

5. Member
    My bud and I were standing on the deck of his boat talking and a 3 lb bass came out of the water and hung his self on his c rigged lizard that was a foot above the water. Another trip fishing in my kayak I was slapping a buzz bait on the water to knock some grass off of it and on the 3rd slap a 6 lb bass inhaled the lure.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

6. Member
    These are all great stories. Glad im not the only one. Ive got one of each of the stories. Lol

One day me and a buddy were fishin a pocket on pool 12 of mississippi. He had a real nice 3.5lb bass on a crankbait and got broke off next to the boat. He was pissed but at least he got to see it. 10 days later i was in the same pocket with my cousin tellin him this is where he caught that one and got broke off. I was throwin a buzzbait and it was pretty well dark trying to eek out the last evening bite. I got slammed and heard the splash but couldnt see the fish. So i pulled it to the back of the boat and told my cousin to grab it. He said hell no its got somethin on it. So i ran back and boat flipped it. No b.s. that bass had a crankbait hooked in both sides of its mouth and my buzzbait through the top lip. Wish i had a camera but phone was dead. So when i got home i called my buddy and said hey, you want your crankbait back? He thought i was full of it so he came over and he said you find it on the bank? I was like... Nope. And once he heard the story he bout sh*t. Unbelievable!!!

As far as losin a pole....oh man. So i take out 11yr old fishin cuz he wants to go. Get into a marina with deep water on 12. The boy winds up like jose canseco and zings a chatterbait off and breaks the line cuz he hooked the back of the boat, and dropped the bait in the water. So im trying to be patient.... I go to the back to re tie for him and we drift. I told him to push the nose of the boat cuz we were about to bang a dock. He grabs my pole out the way and instead of shoving does a sweeping leg kick, trips over the trolling motor pedal, and falls in the water. In the process of all that and him falling my quantum exo rod and reel go flying the opposite way in 20ft of water. You can imagine the colorful language that came out. I gave him the old style lure retriever with the 2 treble hooks and clamp and rope. Told him he couldnt get back in the boat till he drug up my rod. So after an hour of him standing on the dock i try..... Hahaha. Bout 30 mins into i get something. I pulled it up slow and could see the eye and had it hooked in the last eye of the pole. Thought i finally had it...but when i pulled it out it was about a 5ft rod with a 70's casting reel. What are the chances somebody lost a pole the same place 30yrs ago! My heart broke!!! But long story short after about another while longer i did end up hooking it and with him humbled we went on to a pretty good day catchin multiple 3lbers. He didnt wind up his casts much after that. Hahahaha

7. Member
    A buddy and I many years ago were fishing for redfish down along the coast on some inland waters and hadn't caught anything all day long . We were using bait shrimp under a popping cork . So I rebait my hook and throw a long cast and it goes about 10 yards and stops and falls in the water . There I was with the bird nest from hell on the old Diawa baitcaster . I sat there for about 10 minutes cussing and picking at it and the breeze floated the cork about 6 feet from the boat then it bobbed once and off it went . I thought what the hell and reeled up the slack over the bird nest and set the hook . After a good fight and netting a 28 inch red my bird nest was gone and my line was spooled up nice and pretty ..

8. Member
    I was reeling in a Walleye when it was attacked by a large Northern Pike. Pike grabbed the Walleye and I reeled them both in together. Partner netted both fish together. Walleye ended up being 16", and Pike Was 38". The Pike never had the hook in his mouth. He still had the Walleye in its grip in the net, and didn't let go until I lifted him by the gill plate to separate them.

9. Member
    I was maybe 14 and fishing a pond with a friend. Was telling him about the topwater blow up I just missed as I stood on the bank with the lure a foot out of the water. Would you believe that fish hit that lure a foot out of the water.

My most memorable was fishing Okeechobee in June 2010. My wife who is in France calls me at like 8am as I just cast with a senko. After the call I came back to the rod to find a 3lb on. to my disbelief, that was the pattern all week. Fish slower then my DNA normally allows
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Member
    David's post above spurred a memory from years ago... I was Muskie fishing once, and after my figure 8, I lifted my lure to recast. When the lure was about 2 feet out of the water, a juvenile (maybe 24" tops) Muskie came rocketing out of the water and hit that lure. The hooks got hung up on his skin, but he shook loose right way. Scared the shizz outa me!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    I caught a bass that hit the spinner bait 6" out of the water as I was pulling it up to recast. Scared the $heet out of me
    Had one do that to me too! Almost had to change my drawers!
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

gurber?

13. Member
    Wife and I fishing a tournament on Lake Hartwell. I hooked a nice one on a spook. Called for the net. She laid down her Carolina rig and netted my fish.

Moved to the back of the boat and picked up her fishing rod. She said, hey I have a fish on..landed a 4# large mouth which was our biggest fish of the day.

14. Member
    We had the boats at El Salto one summer. My buddy had just tied on a new spinner bait that had a swim bait attached to it, can't remember the name, He had about 4' of line out going back and forth by the boat while we watched the action. A 6 pounder came up and devoured that spinner bait. About jerked the rod out of his hand! Crazy!

Another time fishing with my brother he had made a cast over a tree limb. I told him to lower it a little and get it swinging then pop it over the tree. It was still about 4-5 inches above the water while he was trying to get it swinging when a 2 pound bass came out of the water and ate it. Now he had the bait and the fish hanging from the tree.

Anytime during a tournament I will always throw a drop shot or Texas rigged worm out when I'm retrying a lure, got a 3 lb smallmouth one time that won the derby for me.

Standing on the dock of my local launch, before I bought my boat, I was casting a rattletrap into the bay when a state wildlife officer walked over to me an chatted me up for about 15 minutes before asking me for my fishing license. I had the number printed on a sticker on my fishing rod (as I do all my rods), so I turned the rod over to show him. My rod had been still for 5 minutes or more with the bait laying on the sea bed of the bay that I'd last cast into. After showing my license number I started reeling in and to my surprise I had a 2.75lb spotted bass on the end of it!

17. Member
    A friend and I were fishing our tourney league out of his boat one evening, and the Sheriff patrol boat approached us... Oops... the sun had begun setting, and we hadn't yet put up the lights. When they came alongside, myself and one of the deputies secured the two boats by hand while the other deputy wrote the ticket. I could see that I was not really needed in order to keep the boats together, so I asked the deputy if I could let go. He said "sure", so I went ahead and started fishing. First cast, 20" smallie. 2nd cast, 16" smallie. Deputies were laughing after the first fish... laughing hysterically after the 2nd one. My partner and I have completely different takes on the story. We both tell it the same way as far a what happened. But I think it was funny as heck; he thinks I used him getting a ticket to pull ahead of him in the point rankings for the evening.

18. Member
    Was fishing in a shallow creek couple days ago "very muddy water" but only 2 or 3 foot deep. Hook into a nice fish, as I'm reeling her in my trolling motor hits a stump I drop the rod to brace my self for the fall. The fish takes the rod and I reach as fast as I can to retrieve rod but it's to late the rod is gone. Well after about 30min of looking for the fish to jump or my rod to pop up nothing. About an hour later a guy comes buy in a bass boat. I signal him over and tell him what happened. Well about an hour later he comes back over to my boat and tells me he has my rod and the fish. He told me he kept hearing a banging sound at the rear of his boat so he goes back to inspect and it's my rob wedged between his lower unit and jack plate he preceded to reel in the fish I caught first lol. He must of snagged my line with his lower unit. My line was 80 pound spider wire. Was just glad to have my rod and reel back

19. Member
    Fishing a rocky flat on a great smallmouth lake in spring probably 5 years ago and I got my trap stuck in about 2 feet of water. Windy day so the water had chalked up so you couldn't see the bottom and we went to free the snag. Damn thing wouldn't come out easily, so had to get right on it, reel down to the bait and poke it out with the rod. Poked it out, freed it for a second, and BAM! a 3lb smally choked it with literally zero line out. No idea how that happened, but actually landed the thing.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

20. Member
    2 occassions that I can remember.

I had just caught a bass in a small lake and got him off and put my rod down with the bait hanging in the water. Grab the pole to stand back up and had a bass smash my bait at the same time. never had to cast or crank the reel.

Another time i was bank fish a small crankbait and it got stuck in some tree limbs. I kept pulling and tugging to get it out. It came out flying right at me. I ducked and it went about 20 ft behind me in the middle of the canal. I started reeling it in to recast and hooked up with a bass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast