Humminbird Repair

I have an out of warranty 1198C SI that the back light is not working - humminbird wants $490.00 to send this in and get it fixed, can anyone recommend anyone that can fix this for a more reasonable price? I have had good luck with Humminbird taking care of warranty service - but just hope you never have to get one fixed out of warranty, this is a flat rate fix which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
    Last edited by twa; 04-26-2017 at 10:40 AM.

2. Member
    That is expensive. I'd rather put that money toward getting a newer unit, and maybe that is why they charge so much? Many people when faced with that decision probably lean toward purchasing new units. It's a win-win for HB, if you're willing to pay that much for repairs they win, and if you're unwilling to pay for repair and instead buy new, they win. Sorry, I know I didn't answer your question. I have no idea who could do the repair work other than HB.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

3. Member
    Agreed, I have always though highly of their CS, not so much after this.....

4. Member
    I wouldn't necessarily start dog pilling. Need to understand, labor hours needed, price of legacy parts that they might or might not have on hand for this once $2800 unit. They are a for profit company, they warrantied their product for 2 years of use. They still need to pay their employees and generate a profit.
    Last edited by brmoffatt; 04-27-2017 at 10:13 AM.

5. Member
    Not dog piling, I just think $490.00 to fix a back light in a unit is ridiculous. Would you happily pay it? To each his own.

6. Member
    I would, considering the alternative is buying an equivalent replacement runs $1500-$1700.

7. Member
    1198 I think that was discontinued 5-6 years ago, so you have had this for at least 5 years. That seems pretty long for a computer. How long do you think computers should last, after all that is what these are? Seems to me that a new unit is a better choice.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

8. Member
    I love the unit - my original question was to see if there are any options to get it fixed outside of humminbird, if not I will get it figured out. I don't really care how long it should last, I would just like to get the back light fixed, seems like a pretty simple fix to me, (bulb??) but I could be totally off base.

9. Member
    Based on their repair price list, the 1198 is about to get unsupported very soon is my guess.

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/S...AQ/RepairFees/

Also, remember in computer world, legacy parts actually get more expensive rather than cheaper.

10. Member
    Of course my unit is the most expensive on the list.....welcome to my world.

11. Member
    Boris Marine here in ft. Worth Texas. They do work on graphs. Not sure what they charge but I do know they have worked on hummingbirds and Lowrance. They may be able to fix the backlight.

817-624-3932

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brmoffatt View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily start dog pilling. Need to understand, labor hours needed, price of legacy parts that they might or might not have on hand for this once $2800 unit. They are a for profit company, they warrantied their product for 2 years of use. They still need to pay their employees and generate a profit.
    Who's "dog piling?" I agreed that it is expensive and I offered my opinion as to why. I said nothing negative about HB. Are we not allowed to share opinions on this board? I know full well HB is for profit, but that doesn't make their prices cheap. We all know for profit businesses that gouge (gas companies?), so just because their status is for profit doesn't necessarily negate the argument that their pricing is high. Just my opinion.

13. Member
    I was replying to twa. It's not all about you!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brmoffatt View Post
    I was replying to twa. It's not all about you!
    Oh, well then, never mind. However, this new assertion you've made "It's not all about you!" I guess you haven't been informed of the new board rule, which clearly states it is.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Boris Marine here in ft. Worth Texas. They do work on graphs. Not sure what they charge but I do know they have worked on hummingbirds and Lowrance. They may be able to fix the backlight.

817-624-3932
    Now this is the kind of information that is useful and helpful, not "dog piling" so to speak - this guy will charge $85.00 to fix the unit - that $490.00 isn't such a good price now after all is it?

thanks Ntslam, much appreciated, this guy sounds golden.

16. Member
    Glad to hear he can help ya. They are great people. Been doing business for years. Not sure about his turnaround time he is pretty busy this time of year.
    Last edited by ntslam; 04-27-2017 at 02:26 PM.

17. Member
    Let us know how it works out.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Glad to hear he can help ya. They are great people. Been doing business for years. Not sure about his turnaround time he is pretty busy this time of year.
    Luckily I have a 998 I can use as a back up, so not too concerned with turnaround, Don sounds like a great guy down there.

19. Member
    Glad you found someone to service it.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    Glad you found someone to service it.
    thanks brother!