Fishing Flooded Lakes

Local lake is expected to rise to 10 ft over normal pool and my experiences in the past have not been very good fishing at these levels, lake is flooded in places up to 100 yards past normal bankline. So whats your strategy when faced with these conditions, fish as much of the flooded cover as possible, fish the original bankline, find your steeper banks where you can still get to the waters edge, or scrap all the flooded mess and fish out deeper hoping to find fish off the bank, Im a firm believer that not all fish rush to the bushes and flooded timber just because the lake has come up 10 ft!!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Fish shallow, especially this time of year. Fish will be either looking for spawning areas or feeding on stuff that used to be crawling on the bank.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    If it were me, I would decide based on the water temp. If the lake is coming up during a cold front and the water temp is dropping, I'd fish where the fish were before the lake came up. I don't think they'll move up shallower in colder water.

If the temps are rising or staying the same, I would follow the water into the flooded cover. Lots of fish have been caught off of flooded docks and picnic tables.

4. Member
    Fish the flooded stuff.

5. Member
    Take the air boat next trip

As others said, fish the flooded stuff. But, if the lake has risen very quickly, the fish may not have moved up yet, so check the depth where the original shoreline was. Finally, if the lake begins falling, fish the flooded areas along steeper banks. The fish there can still be shallow with a quick access to deeper water.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Look for submerged picnic tables. Seriously, fish love them.

8. Member
    At Kerr it can be tough when it is that high, but the fish will follow the water level.

9. Banned
    See Table Rock.....currently 10+ and still rising, gonna get to practice high water fishing again like 2015, which was a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    See Table Rock.....currently 10+ and still rising, gonna get to practice high water fishing again like 2015, which was a good year.
    This is a bad one for TR, good for the fish and fishing, but bad in a lot of ways.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    This is a bad one for TR, good for the fish and fishing, but bad in a lot of ways.
    Bad for local economy. It will impact Memorial Day. When those folks lose Memorial Day, 4th, or Labor Day that is a BIG chunk of their annual income.
    High water like this makes if tough to reach em because of the trees, but it can be done in right areas. They'll still school up in the summer thought. Spoon time.