Thread: Red power pro?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I tried some Suffix 832 in Camo color for the first time the other day. The fish sure had no issue in smacking the chatterbait tied directly to it. In case you haven't seen this color, it is a combination of green, brown, and tan in varying lengths from 3" to 8". I have read that bass can't process a broken line....their brain just doesn't recognize it I guess. This is why braid without a leader will work just fine in grass or brush...there's a lot of different intersecting lines that the fish's brain just doesn't process.

To get back on topic...I tried red mono back during the craze and didn't notice any difference one way or the other. I do remember that it looked cool as all get out on my solid black Quantum reel I had back then.

I put yellow PP on the new spinning reel I bought recently. I've only fished with it once but did notice a much appreciated increase in visibility.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    I just think it looks awesome if nothing else!!

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Red has been proven to disappear visually quicker than other colors. I use it on a Carolina rig setup.
    That is the marketing line on red line, but on red hooks, even for deep diving crankbaits or CR hooks, the hook line is red looks like blood!!! LOL

I'm not dogging on you... after all, we need to use Fluorocarbon line because of its light refracting qualities make it invisible, but it is OK to throw an Alabama Rig. Seems the fish can see the line, but not those huge metal stems on the AR!!! Go figure.

I emailed Doug Hannah a long time ago, you know the bass professor, and he confirmed what I was asking. He said that a bass' eye and its brain is not developed enough to see anything but the most bright of bright lines and they don't see anything that is thinner than the thickness of the edge of a nickle. Now that guy had nothing to lose in telling me that. I have his old email somewhere in my old Yahoo account.

His suggestion on why really light line works so well was that it gave a better presentation due to flexibility. Since then, I have used a loop knot a lot, even on split rings, it really seems to help.

To the OP... I'd love to get some of that red line myself!! Just for the look of it.

Enjoy,

Danny

4. Member
    One of my old fishing partner used Cajun Red line and could catch fish just fine in clear water. I tried it and it was not a success story for me. Scientifically speaking red is likely just not my color!

I use it on my crappie rods and to throw spinner bait.. haven't been a problem tying direct.

6. Banned
    I'd have to see it on a pro jersey before I'd trust it.

Rick Clunn once said a bass seeing a spinner bait doesn't pay any attention to the 30# monofilament tied to it it is only looking at the lure.

8. Member
    Found some neon orange braid a few months ago. Spooled some up and put a floro leader on it. Great visibility. I will probably spool a couple more reels with it.

Quote Originally Posted by havacman View Post
    Rick Clunn once said a bass seeing a spinner bait doesn't pay any attention to the 30# monofilament tied to it it is only looking at the lure.
    Can they see the face on the head ??

I'd imagine green line is just as easy to see underwater. Heck I'm not fishing water clear enuff to care.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    I use it with no problems

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Red flouro and a red treble tied on the end is all you'd need to wack em!
    If it's raining you would never find the end to tie a lure on since it disappears when wet.
    Praying for a Cure

Any fish that will come up and attack a buzzbait like a Pit Bull on a Hambone doesn't give a rat's ass what color the little stringy thing in front of it is. In gin clear shallow water, yeah line color might make a difference. Otherwise, I've wouldn't worry about line color.
    Braid is a good example. It's quite visible in open water especially after it experiences some fading. Never stopped me from catching fish. It tried a spool of red PP this past month because I couldn't find any Sniper locally. Worked fine fishing spinnerbaits shallow.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    In the past, including personal experience, Red PowerPro has had a bad reputation for shedding the red color to the point of a nasty mess all over everything.
    Hopefully the current version is improved.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Anyone ever see a red snapper in 100ft of water ( a legit red snapper, the game fish)

16. Member
    Red is the first color to lose its color as it goes deeper in water. Doesn't mean it goes clear it just goes gray first. Why not just use gray braid all the time??

17. Member
    If nothing else, it just looks good on a black reel!!

18. Member
    I use the Yellow PP for my dropshot rod. Works well for that since it works like a strike indicator almost. There was a story last year I think about Jordan Lee using red braid on his spinning rod because they were out of yellow or something.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

19. Member
    RED......the Final Frontier......these are These are the voyages of the Everyday Fisherman. Its lifetime mission: to explore strange new baits, hooks & lines, to seek out new Bodies of water and new PB's, to boldly go where no fisherman has gone before.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    RED......the Final Frontier......these are These are the voyages of the Everyday Fisherman. Its lifetime mission: to explore strange new baits, hooks & lines, to seek out new Bodies of water and new PB's, to boldly go where no fisherman has gone before.
    Awesome!! Yeah I'm going thru something right now.. not sure what..just trying stuff I've never tried before..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast