Leelanau largemouth?

I will be staying on south Leelanau for a family vacation the first weekend in June. I have already gotten some tips on the smallie fishing, but I'm an illinois largemouth fisherman. So, if I can't figure out the smallies, is there a decent largemouth population I can target? Looks like there is some shallow vegetation, but the gin clear water is intimidating to me. I'm used to fishing the Mississippi river and other shallow dirty bodies of water. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm CPR only. I would also like to get the old man and 4 yr old son into some bluegills or perch.

2. Member
    I live in TC- and fish Lake L a bunch. Great place to fish...the gin water may scare ya, but the depths make up for it. That time of year you will still have some smallmouth that are bedding...but grab a tube with a quarter ounce jig head and drag it on the bottom and you are sure to catch nice ones. .If you want to fish for largemouth, throw spinner baits and rooster tails, with the occasional half ounce jig and top water if it's windy. Target the weed beds near the mouth of the river that goes into the town of Cedar. Don't be surprised if you get hooked up on a pike or 12 using spinner baits. Grab some minnows, and put those on a bobber, or an 1/8 ounce yellow jig head. Lots of good panfish including perch and walleye will eat at night that time of year. Send me a PM at some point if you would like to hook up and I can send you some spots when you come up. Good luck

3. Member
    I'm going to be on that Lake the 3rd week of June and can't wait. I don't have any experience on that lake or I would gladly share it with you. Thanks muyman22 for your insight

4. Member
    I'm in the sport for fun and friendship and not paychecks ;). Let me know when you get lakeside. Late June means Carolina rigged craws in 20' or go closer to the channel of N and S lake and throw weightless pumpkin senkos

no dock is too shallow.

thanks for the advice. I was on Long Lake in the Traverse area two years ago. I was excited to catch a lake smallie, but found Mickey Lake and the largemouth fishing was so easy that incident focus much on the small mouth. It's tough to stop fishing 2-5 lb largemouth.

Fished LL quite a bit and the only place I ever caught any LM was the very south end of the South Lake. Good Luck. The smallies will be smashing about that time. I suppose you would consider LL gin clear compared to the Mississippi but its really not that clear compared to the Bay or some other lakes in the area.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

10 inch visibility is clear to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyRanger View Post
    10 inch visibility is clear to me lol
    So 15-20 feet shouldn't bother you then right?

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

10. Member

Dock Fish

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    no dock is too shallow.
    What thedude said. I saw him net a 5-9 largie dock fish there once.

not a bad net job for hungover and mildly concussed either, if i do say so myself.