2000 Stratos 20 extreme with 225 Johnson

Looking at a 20 extreme with the 225 Johnson. My first question is how are these motors as I know nothing about them Secondly what can you tell me about the boat. I currently have a 275 xl and am looking to go bigger and faster.

Thanks

2. Member
    Also is there a supplier for replacement parts such as a few odd plastic pieces / covers etc. Also I would love to replace the raised logos etc.

Thanks

C/O Marine for Stratos parts!
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

4. Member
    Another question for those familiar with the 20ss. How in the world do I get the drivers side panel off. Its the panel that the shifter and tank valves are attached to. I have all the screws out but appears that the shifter is holding it in place. I dont see a way to get the shifter off even though I have all the screws out.

5. Member
    Okay so I figured out how to get the panel out. Turns out there is a hidden set screw in the shift lever

Im curious what direction you all think I should go when considering painting the rubber side panels.

My side panels arent really torn up mainly just showing age. Corners and what not have areas that the paint has faded / flaked to the point of being down to the original rubber. So im left with the task of repainting / coating.

With that said im unsure how to go about this. What I really want to do is repaint with the auto interior dye stuff and change the color to maybe a silver. I cant imagine why anyone would want interior trim parts in a boat to be black considering black gets hotter than any other color out there. So I took one of the smaller parts and tried some citri strip paint stripper as well as some more extreme epoxy paint stripper. Neither seems to hurt the rubber but neither totally strips the coating. I can get 90% off but not cant totally get it off especially in the nooks and crannies.

Stripping off whatever coating is also pretty time consuming. If I tried to strip all the panels to as close to bare as I could it would take a good bit of time. So im weighing the option of either going back to black or throwing silver over black. Spraying silver over black scares me as im worried about the occasional scratch that is bound to happen. The black would immediately be shown if scratched. So should I go back to plain black???

6. Member
    Axkiker,

You ever get that panel off? I was wondering the exact same thing today... trying to run transducer wires

7. Member
    And... which screws come out? Mine has screws on the livewell controls, one on the shifter and that's the only ones i see

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shane8168 View Post
    And... which screws come out? Mine has screws on the livewell controls, one on the shifter and that's the only ones i see
    I finally did. I was forgetting a set screw on the shift lever than kept me from getting the shift lever off. As far as screws I had to take all of the screws out from the shift lever and tank controls. There was also one or two on the outer edges that should be easily visible holding the panel in.