Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 Johnson 225 opinions

Looking at a Stratos 20 ss with a 225 Johnson. I know nothing about the Johnsons can someone give me some advice as to buy or run?

Thanks

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If it's indeed a 2000 model, great engines....check back here for some tips that will help it last a long time.....

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    If it's indeed a 2000 model, great engines....check back here for some tips that will help it last a long time.....
    Yup is indeed a 2000 model. Kinda ran across this out of accident and needed to act fast. Most of what im reading leads me to believe its a good engine.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Good hull too!

5. Member
    The old Johnnyrudes are def reliable.....and thirsty. My 1999 Johnson 150 is a great runner....and def likes her petrol.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I run a 2001 225HO on my boat. Solid motor but like any motor of its vintage it likes the fuel. I replaced an equally as strong 2000 model 200 with the HO just because I got a deal on the HO but the 200 was very strong. Just feed it good oil.

7. Member
    So curious about something. Is the HO model the difference between 200 and the 225's.

Also this purchase is almost a done deal. What tips etc can you give me regarding its longevity?

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nope it isn't. It is allowed 10% to the good. I run the VRO/OMS not afraid of it. Never have been. That said if it has been bypassed and your are premixing then don't worry. But if you use it, then do this. Add 16 Oz of XD-50 per 12 gallons fuel. I don't beat the living snot out of mine but I do like to get from A to B fairly quickly going out and coming back. But most times I'm on plane and saving some fuel. As far as internals or carburation the fixes have been applied. You have the new style drain plugs and correct jetting.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Nope it isn't. It is allowed 10% to the good. I run the VRO/OMS not afraid of it. Never have been. That said if it has been bypassed and your are premixing then don't worry. But if you use it, then do this. Add 16 Oz of XD-50 per 12 gallons fuel. I don't beat the living snot out of mine but I do like to get from A to B fairly quickly going out and coming back. But most times I'm on plane and saving some fuel. As far as internals or carburation the fixes have been applied. You have the new style drain plugs and correct jetting.
    So do you recommend premix or let it mix itself?

10. Member
    Also the outdrive seemed to shift well but was faded to the point of paint coming off. Im guessing it was kept under a cover and the outdrive exposed and the sun killed the paint. Is the grey matching paint readily available.

11. Member
    Like Champ, I to run a 2001 225ho. Great strong engine but as stated loves fuel. Can buy a lot of fuel for cost of new engine.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So do you recommend premix or let it mix itself?
    Let it mix it's self...less mess and trouble.....the most reliable VRO out there....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Let it mix it's self...less mess and trouble.....the most reliable VRO out there....
    Any tests or maintenance I should perform on it? I prefer to let them mix themselves but you hear so many horror stories it worries me.

Well other than as you suggested....Add 16 Oz of XD-50 per 12 gallons fuel.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It is in the service manual for prolonged WOT operation and racing applications to add oil to your fuel. It is just a practice since my first VRO back in 1989.

15. Member
    It is in the service manual for prolonged WOT operation and racing applications to add oil to your fuel. It is just a practice since my first VRO back in 1989.

Okay that makes sense. I think it would pay for me to find a copy of the service manual. Another probably dumb question is there a way to hook it up to a computer and get an hour count. I assume these models are not that advanced.

Also I noticed when he initially started the engine it seemed to smoke quite a bit. Is this typical ?

16. Member
    Okay last probably dumb question. Whats the best way to paint the lower unit. I have found the matching spray bomb paint but dont see many good reviews.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes smoking on start up is normal. To paint the lower sand it as good as you can then prime with zinc chromate primer then BRP paint works well, Tip pull off the prop and slip a cardboard tube from a paper towel roll and slip it over the prop shaft.

18. Member
    Yes smoking on start up is normal. To paint the lower sand it as good as you can then prime with zinc chromate primer then BRP paint works well, Tip pull off the prop and slip a cardboard tube from a paper towel roll and slip it over the prop shaft.
    So dumb question but I dont have the boat here yet so I cant just go out and look. How hard is it to remove the motor from the boat. Im guessing painting can be more effective if I can separate.

I have an engine hoist so I have a way to lift it.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Use this http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=345275 and remove the four nuts that hold it on. If you just want to get it off the plate or plate. If you want to go more than that you'll need to disconnect everything from the motor. If you're bolted to the transom then when done reseal the transom.

20. Member
    ahhhh thats cool.. I assumed there would be lifting rings from the factory. I have a couple pullers so I should be able to rig this up pretty easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast