24 or 25 pitch prop question Merc 175 EFI

I posted earlier this month for what pitch prop for my 2002 Mercury 175 EFI on my 18 ft nitro nx882, the answer I got was a 24 or 25 pitch. Well I have been searching for a decent used one since my budget wont allow me to go over $300. I guess I am getting pretty confused as to what brand to get, most I have been seeing are trophy, laser, fury, ballistic and rarely a tempest plus, I need to keep my rpms at 5650 per manufacturer. I bought the motor without a prop so I don't even have a baseline to start with. Before I pull the trigger on an expensive prop, I need some input as to what make of prop I should be looking for. I would like to buy from the guys on the BBC if I can find something.

Thanks
    Bill
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

25 tempest running light to med 24 if running heavy

3. Member
    Ive had little luck finding a used tempest, thats why I was asking about other brands. I'm guess running "heavy" is 2 guys fishing gear and full livewell? I would venture to say that will be 50% of my fishing, the other 50% will be myself and my 2 boys just fun fishing, no livewell used. The whole reason I sold my 115 is the holeshot was awful, once on plane it wasn't too bad at upper 40's but getting out of the hole I had to put my 15 yr old son on the front deck...
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

4. Banned
    There's temptest props for sale all the time here.

5. Member
    It seems like I remember reading that that model Nitro were prone to slow hole shots due to so much weight in the rear,tanks so far back. That being the case,you might be better off with a Trophy + 23 or 24. I think you'd have a hard time turning a 25 enough with a 175. A Trophy + can be ran with or without the weed ring and has PVS holes so there is lots of options for dialing in the hole shot.

6. Member
    ive got a 24 and a 25 (rough) trophy im selling If you might be interested

7. Member
    Do you have any friends who would would let you run their props or local dealers that have a demo prop program ?

You might also consider a Bravo 1XS really good holeshot and all around prop, not likely to find one within your budget though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usblitzz View Post
    Do you have any friends who would would let you run their props or local dealers that have a demo prop program ?

You might also consider a Bravo 1XS really good holeshot and all around prop, not likely to find one within your budget though.
    Unfortunately no, I have asked around and no one has a prop that I can borrow for a run. According to Tracker marine setup sheets, my boat with a 175 uses a 25p Trophy. I have also talked with other guys with my model of boat that are turning 25's just fine. So with that being said I think I am going to go with that pitch, I just didn't know much about each specific brand and how they perform overall. I do know that getting up on plane is a big concern for me, especially coming from a 115 and I am not going to complain if I can break 60 mph on the topend.

The 3 props I am interested in are the Trophy Plus, the tempest plus and Fury3. However I am sorta ruling out the tempest due to some reports of a sub-par holeshot.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

9. Member
    How much for the 24 & what condition is it in?

10. Member
    275 shipped to your front door. PM me a number and ill send you some pics