Burnt Voltage Regulator, Q for Don

Serial #- 1B189446 2005 Carbed XR6.

Was told to post in here even though my motor is stock :) So I was having issues with my trim, I'm going to replace the 2 trim relays and keep my fingers crossed. While the cowling was off I was looking around and saw a part that looked burnt, had some brown goo looking stuff coming out of the wiring too. I believe its the Lower voltage regulator on the starboard side and there is an identical part above the bad one. The one above looks 100% clean.
    My Tach did stop working a few months ago, that's about 5 trips to the lake I'd say. Someone on the other forum said look at the stator. Are those the Alternator looking windings at the top of the engine ?
    Can I replace two $$$ Voltage regulators and be ok ? About how much are they?

Any help would be great. Thanks !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The part you described is a voltage regulator. It can affect your tach operation if the tach signal(gray wire) comes from the reg. Don can get you a replacement. Have you noticed any loss of battery capacity?
    Mark
    2003XB/225 Promax

3. Member
    I had a local shop give me a quote on the bad one and I told him to order it. I have not had any issues with cranking battery capacity. My in dash 332 did turn off when I went to crank the big engine late in the day, but it's done that once or twice over the years. The HDS-7 on a ram mount didn't shut off, or the bow. I may take it to the local shop with the new part so they can test it, and give the stator a look.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerworm View Post
    I had a local shop give me a quote on the bad one and I told him to order it. I have not had any issues with cranking battery capacity. My in dash 332 did turn off when I went to crank the big engine late in the day, but it's done that once or twice over the years. The HDS-7 on a ram mount didn't shut off, or the bow. I may take it to the local shop with the new part so they can test it, and give the stator a look.
    Your motor has two voltage regulators and you really should replace both of them not just one.
    I would also suggest that you not use "aftermarket" regulators.
    Last edited by mxmike; 04-26-2017 at 08:21 PM.

5. Banned
    Plus one on what mxmike has mentioned. I had one of my voltage regulators looked burnt, brown color, a few months back on my 2.5 200xri and I replaced both of them to make sure it wasn't going to be an issue.

6. Member
    I forgot to update my post. In a WAY I went the cheap route and only replaced the bad one. Replaced it myself. Long story short, it fixed the tach and I've put a hour or so on the motor since with no issues. I still should pull the cowling and double check for any other "heat evidence" to make sure it's not starting up again. Thanks everyone for the input. It helps a auto mechanic save a nice bit of time and $$ with doing the work himself. :) Really appreciate it.

i'd of put something rubbery over the plug in pic . looks like the metal bolt over holder , rubbed the connector in past causing a short?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Voltage regulators SHOULD be replaced IN PAIRS (ONLY).

Use the OEM Mercury Version ONLY (aftermarket units often do not contain the same features and/or safeguards).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor