Ranger RT198 -vs - Crestliner PT20

Narrowing it down between these two aluminum boats but still have several issues to sort out. The main issues are listed below, but I am still concerned about the size of the Ranger compared to the Crestliner. These concerns are mostly about stability and big water capability (KY Lake). My main reasons for going this route is, I don't fish tournaments and don't fish but maybe 10-12 trips a year. I don't really see the need to spend the money on a nice glass boat (insert any of the top 5 brands) but I want a nice boat. Speed is also of concern (would like to be in the 60's at least 65+better, not interested in Xpress. As a final note I have had glass boats in the past (Ranger,Bass Cat, Procraft, Allison, Hydra Sport) as well as probably 30 smaller aluminum bass boats (mostly Triton and Bass Tracker). Interested in a top of the line aluminum this time around.

Hull thickness - Ranger .100 vs Crestliner's .110 hull thickness

Horsepower - Ranger 150HP vs Crestliner's 200HP.

a better comparison would be the Ranger and Crestliner PT18. same size and hp rating. PT18 has .110 on hull and 0125 transom.

3. Member
    I don't know if either of those boats will be in the 60's or 65+ from the reports I'm seeing. Maybe the 198 might be able to squeak in?

4. Member
    I just spent 8 days in my 198 in those 8 days fished a tourney and I was amazed. I ran in the 56 range with 2 guys full of tackle 310/280 weight. 3 footers were no problem and 5 footers were a little much but it got us back no problem just wet. I had a skeeter boat salesmen in the boat with me and he was amazed and said that in 5 footers you would be wet in a glass boat too. Also I am fortunate enough to have a 521c and a 198 but if I had to narrow it down to 1 boat it would be the 198 for what lakes i fish.

5. Member
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

6. Member
    Ive heard reports that the pt20 is a great fishing platform but not much of a speed demon...its a mod v hull I believe, correct me if Im wrong

The reason I choose these two, or narrowed it down to these, is I am wanting the largest boat by each manufacturer. My past aluminum experience is aluminum bass boats tend to get small pretty quick with a lot of tackle or another person compared to glass.

We just purchased the RT188 and are VERY happy with the boat.

If I was looking at the RT198 versus the PT20 I would go with the PT20. The RT198 is not hardly any bigger than the RT188, as far as fishing deck space. We looked at them sitting side by side. The main difference is the pad hull and the 150 Max rating on the 198.

The PT20 looks way bigger. I would be really looking at the PT20 if it was between the two.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

I know this is an old thread but I'm deciding between the same two boats. So I would like to hear some more opinions!

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I looked at them both last summer and went with the Ranger. I liked the Ranger layout better (probably because I was familiar with it), I knew the Ranger could do high 50's and there were some build quality issues with the PT20 that I wasn't overly impressed with. The PT20 does have more room on the deck to be sure. I wish the Ranger front deck was a little longer so I didn't have to stack my 7'2"+ rods when and the cockpit area is a little cramped for my 6'2", 245 lb azz. I got the tilt steering because it was a challenge getting in and out of the drivers seat without it.

I spend several months of the winter year bumping around Toledo Bend. This was the first year with the RT198p and I was guite happy with how it performed. If the winds get going at Toledo Bend it's a challenging place to drive because you have to stay in the boat lanes. Some of the rides get pretty rough and you'll get a little bit wet when the waves hit from the side but I never felt overwhelmed driving the boat. When there's a nice ripple on the water, she hauls azz pretty good for a tin.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    I can't speak for the PT20, but the 198 is a nice fishing and running (pad hull) platform. Second to none (within reason) when she is up on pad. Plenty of room for 2 guys tournament loaded, and my partner always has 12 rods and Bass Pro Shops with him! Front deck can accommodate two guys pitch 'n, flip 'n, retrieving out of trees, etc...

I haven't really let her eat yet, as I can cruise 55-56 no prob-lame-o tourney loaded w/ throttle remaining, and that's plenty in that rig. I'm guessing she'll do 60-61 tops.

Hope that helps ya, good luck!

BTW - the front compartments don't leak and the on-board cooler is the bomb! Lifetime warranty on the hull.

Oh, one more thing, I will sure miss OT blowing this thread out of the water.............
    Last edited by King_Fish; 05-01-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: more realistic data
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

your not going to get those speeds with either. I have a PT18 and there is more storage than I need. the PT20 is huge. you could play tennis on the front deck, but even with the 200, your probably looking at low 60's at best. I liked the lay out of the pt18 better than the Ranger and at my age, speed is no longer a factor. for what your looking for you should go with Xpress.

As a follow up to this original thread as the author, I bought a Ranger RT188 with a Yamaha SHO. My reasons were after looking at all of them were, the size difference between the two Rangers 198 -vs- 188 was not enough to justify the difference in price when the the fishing decks are the same. The additional foot and 35 hp. were not worth it in cost. The Crestliner was a nice boat but at least to me was not fit/finish/waterproof enough for me to be interested. Also at that price point, which you get with the Ranger in the RT198 is a performance hull not a V hull. If I was spending the money between these two PT20 and RT198 I would go Ranger again. Just my thoughts from what I observed. I don't get to stressed out over it as in a few years this one will be for sale and I will be off to another one.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Well Sir, congratulations on your purchase, go forth young man and enjoy!

Keep us posted on how you like her...

Some pix would be nice too, us ole' Tin Horns enjoy that stuff!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Also, the fish-ability is second to none, trolling motor down is where the boat shines. Also, as I just posted see the post above mine on PT18-PT20 compartments leaking. This is what I found in my research. My boat has been in the rain twice and not leaked a drop other than the plug not being screwed in tight, I read that too after my first trip water ran out for five minutes. Ranger needs to fix that.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PT180 View Post
    Also, the fish-ability is second to none, trolling motor down is where the boat shines. Also, as I just posted see the post above mine on PT18-PT20 compartments leaking. This is what I found in my research. My boat has been in the rain twice and not leaked a drop other than the plug not being screwed in tight, I read that too after my first trip water ran out for five minutes. Ranger needs to fix that.
    Transom plug?

Put some silicon lube on the o-ring and she will snug up real nice...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

17. Member
    I've been amazed at the fishing room of the 188. I'm just not sold on any tin boat with less than .125 for 150+.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

18. Member
    PT20 is great fishing platform. Also plays well up on Lake Erie. I have ran mine little over 60, but tournament setup two people is mid-50's..
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH