Thread: Core 51mg7

Core 51mg7

Does anyone flip with this reel? I'm talking 65lb braid or 25lb FC. I think it may be too small. My friend said he would sell me his, but I use right hand reels and flippin would be the only reason I'd want a lefty.

2. Member
    True to form flipping doesn't require anything fancy...aside a tough reel with a durable pinion & gearing and locking down your drag. I'd be more concerned about the lighter Core 51MG7 balancing out a longer/tip-heavy "flipping rod".

3. Member
    The rod is Loomis BCFR 954 GLX with a curado 200e7 on it right now. It is balanced ok, but it is heavy. Now, the rod is several years old so that plays a part of it too, but I thought the core would help a little. I would also send it off to get cleaned and upgrade the drag.

4. Member
    That reel is small but that doesn't mean a thing. What really matters is what's on the inside. Since the Core 51 Mg7 has the gears and inside parts to get the job done when flipping, I say go for it. My dad flips with them and has no problems. You shouldn't have any problems either. In fact, I think you'll be rather pleased when flipping/pitching with it.

5. Member
    I'm more concerned with it being able to handle the large diameter lines. I know I wont need a lot to flip and pitch, I just want to know I'm not going to burn up a $300 reel yankin fish out of mats or bushes.

6. Member
    Personally, I would find much better uses for such a reel...so much casting ability would be wasted on this reel for just flipping/pitching. I would look for a cheapo OEM BPS, Ardent, older Lews, Abu, etc., that I could beat up on.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Personally, I would find much better uses for such a reel...so much casting ability would be wasted on this reel for just flipping/pitching. I would look for a cheapo OEM BPS, Ardent, older Lews, Abu, etc., that I could beat up on.
    If it was a 50mg it would be different. I would find something else to do with it, but its a 51 and all I want a lefty for is so I don't have to switch hands flippin.

8. Member
    Kool

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Agreed. I'd rather put it to some other use, fine little reel. Further, if you want a solid LH reel just for flipping and pitching, the Daiwa Tatula CT Type R 100XSL (LH 8:1) is a great reel for the money and you can get a fine deal with some extras - free braid and a HUK shirt - from The Tackle Trap currently, click the link below if you haven't seen it.

Daiwa Tatula BBC Only Special

10. Member
    Guess I will keep looking then.

11. Member
    How much does your friend want for it? :)

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kondan View Post
    How much does your friend want for it? :)
    if I don't buy it, he is keeping it.

13. Banned
    Yep. Core/Aldebaran reels not exactly made for that kind of stuff.

14. Member
    I've got a couple of Aldabarran 51's. Sure you can flip with them but I'd look at a Curado unless that 51 is coming really cheap.
    Question everything!