Thread: Opti or ProXs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Sheesh, from the posts on here you wouldnt think guys would ever buy newer motors lol...that being said my uncle has an older opti and 3 powerheads later it runs great. Very fast motor though. Good luck on whatever you do.
    Guys don't really have a choice on newer boats.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Guys don't really have a choice on newer boats.
    Keep the efi I wish I had one...

3. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    If both motors have been rebuilt, I would rebuild yours.
    Call speed marine in Lebanon TN. He's the best around here and will do you right. Certified Mercury Mechanic and if I owned a Merc would be where I would take it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    If both motors have been rebuilt, I would rebuild yours.
    Call speed marine in Lebanon TN. He's the best around here and will do you right. Certified Mercury Mechanic and if I owned a Merc would be where I would take it.
    This.

In time, once the last 2 stroke has been produced and the manufacturers finally move on to 4 strokes exclusively, the 3.0 EFI and the 3.1 OX66 will be revered as the all time best 2 stroke outboards.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Look at it this way, cost of maintenance vs fuel. You can still fish by filling up the tank, vs it sitting in a lot waiting to get looked at!!!!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Look at it this way, cost of maintenance vs fuel. You can still fish by filling up the tank, vs it sitting in a lot waiting to get looked at!!!!
    That's a great point, but that is a dealer/mechanic issue. The dealer I used to use kept my boat over three weeks and didn't do anything, said it showed no codes. I now used a dealer down by KY lake that takes appointments. You bring your boat the day they are going to work on it, and unless they tell you it is a multiple day job, you get it back the same day. In the event it does go over one day, they keep it in the garage, not outside like my dealer used to. I'm having a senior moment and a brain freeze or I'd tell you their name... they are down on HWY 68 before you get to Johnathon Creek. Husband and wife own the place, and have several mechanics. GREAT PEOPLE... I have their key chain out in my truck and receipt down at the lake house... sorry I can't remember the name right is moment!!!

Danny

Wow you guys make it sound like the optimax families a assured failure. I'm sure some do fail but in many locations, mine included, they're the most popular brand of motor on the water. If they really were that failure prone that would not be the case. That being said I probably optive rebuild the EFI motor unless the Pro XS was basically the same price. As far as the choice between the OptiMax and the Pro XS I go to Pro XS.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

My 2004 Optimax has been a very good engine. Although, I did blow a power head once due to not warming up the engine one cold morning (this is about the time we all found out about the need to warm up the Optimax engine on cold mornings prior to running WOT). Outside of that, the new power head on mine has been flawless since 2006. I do regular maintenance on mine, but have never had fuel rails or injectors cleaned. I use ethanol free gas only and fuel stabilizer (Mercury Brand) in every tank. Therefore, I vote for the 2004 Optimax over the ProXS.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Wow you guys make it sound like the optimax families a assured failure. I'm sure some do fail but in many locations, mine included, they're the most popular brand of motor on the water. If they really were that failure prone that would not be the case. That being said I probably optive rebuild the EFI motor unless the Pro XS was basically the same price. As far as the choice between the OptiMax and the Pro XS I go to Pro XS.
    A PRO XS is just a regular Optimax. The "Pro" is for production. It is the "XS" that is built by Mercury Racing which has already been pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    The pro xs is a plain ole opti. The sport xs is a plain ole opti with a sportmaster lower. Those are not the merc racing motors
    That is wrong. Pro XS is a production made xs. That is what pro means a sport xs is not made in the same plant. They are built hands on from top to bottom
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

Love my Pro Xs. Two years old now and problem free. I do all my maint. And Dons cocktail. When I fish 2 day tournaments all my buddies with carb or efi motors need to refuel and i dont. It is hands down way more fuel efficient than any efi. As far as performance i dont think you can beat an efi. Me and my buddy in our boats can be doing 70 across the lake side by side and his is drinking fuel
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

12. Member
    The complexity of these newest 2 strokes scared me off. I went with a 4 stroke.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    That is wrong. Pro XS is a production made xs. That is what pro means a sport xs is not made in the same plant. They are built hands on from top to bottom
    I think you have that wrong. The XS is built by Mercury Racing. The Pro XS and the Pro Sport XS are built by Mercury Marine. The "Pro" is production. The Pro Sport XS is a Pro XS with a sport master lower. Just as alli pointed out.

Never had a minutes trouble out of my 07 Optimax. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    I think you have that wrong. The XS is built by Mercury Racing. The Pro XS and the Pro Sport XS are built by Mercury Marine. The "Pro" is production. The Pro Sport XS is a Pro XS with a sport master lower. Just as alli pointed out.
    Correct. Mercury marine not mercury racing. A 250xs is not a 250pro xs. The pro xs is nothing more than an optimax with huge stickers on the hood and better choices of lower units

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 97tr21 View Post
    I blew my old EFI and am looking to get another motor. The shop I want to deal with will be getting an 04 opti 225 and a 06 pro xs in here soon. Both motors have just been rebuilt and will come with a 1 year warranty. The proXS is $1100 more. Which motor would you get any why?
    The Optimax has 5750 max RPM, the ProXS has 6000 max RPM. I would get the Proxs because the higher RPM limit will make it a lot easier to prop for good holeshot and top end.

I am a big fan of Optimax/ProXS motors. I have had several and they have been relatively trouble free. Really just minor stuff. The biggest was a compressor that let go on my 200 ProXS while it was under warranty. Of the two, I would get the ProXS. There are much more differences than just stickers. There are many, many improvements. That being said, I would rebuild the EFI if it has been trouble free up to when it blow. It is a much more robust design but did not meet EPA restrictions set by our guberment so it was eliminated.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Member
    I would love to know all those differences. Perhaps you might list three of four of the many, many differences.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    Sure you aren't thinking of the XB?

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    I would love to know all those differences. Perhaps you might list three of four of the many, many differences.
    Here is that answer from our resident guru...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=567684

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast