1999 Evinrude 225 looking for possible issues

i own a 1999 evinrude ficht. Recently bought the boat and changed plugs and water separator and it ran like a champ.. had it out 4 or 5 times and it has slowly started to lose RPMs and hiccup a little bit at idle. will not get on plane by itself without someone sitting on the bow for it to level off. once it levels off it will run on up to 4800 rpms wot maybe 5000 if water conditions just right.
    after changing fluid separator (water/gas) and new plugs it was running 5800-6000 rpms

When taking off if I keep my foot in the throttle it seems to start bogging down at 2000-2500 rpms and when it hits 3000 the alarm and check engine light comes on. Turn it off and restart it and no alarm at idle (although I don't idle for long distances to know if it would come one later) and it comes on only when I it 3000 rpms unless I trim my engine up and build up some speed and then have a passenger climb to the deck so it will set down. once it does it will run great but only up to 4800 rpms.. lastly if I keep my foot in it with alarm sounding and not let off it seems like it tries to go into limp mode

only issue I have had Is that one morning about 18 degrees outside the fuel pump was so cold it wouldn't kick on. later in the day after it got to about 40 degrees outside it final kicked on and boat an fine

So my question is, could it be fuel restriction or possibly bad fuel pump, or any ideas you have would be appreciated. last thing. a tech checked my plugs and replaced 2 to better idex them and noticed the plastic roller sleeve on the throttle linkage was gone and replaced it but didn't have computer software to diagnose. he called a ficht tech that said the reed valve screws could have worked loose and should check those. Im just looking for possible issues. It still sounds great with good compression and n strong but slowly losing rpms and alarm sounds.

Thanks in advance
    Jon

2. Member
    a guy I know had a 99 225 like yours. he spent several grand and many hours trying to get it to run well. He gave up and traded it in at dixie marine. they apparently fixed it up as it was sold fairly quick as a used boat/motor package. maybe a trip to them would be worth the money????
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

With that loss of RPM's you are down at least one cylinder, it could be a bad injector or coil. The diagnostic software will tell you what is going on.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2