250 XB cylinder head temperature variance?

03 250XB 0T652470

Is there or what is the cylinder head temperature variance? My starboard is about 13 degrees hotter than the port taken just behind the thermostat in the center on each head running in a 90 gallon tank.

Is this typical?
    Last edited by Rick H; 04-24-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

It's gonna be warmer because it's higher that's normal.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by fishing122 View Post
    It's gonna be warmer because it's higher that's normal.
    I assume your saying it's a little further from the water pump is why?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Taking your temp from that location is notoriously erroneous. To get an accurate read, you need to drill and tap the head for insertion of the sender.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Taking your temp from that location is notoriously erroneous. To get an accurate read, you need to drill and tap the head for insertion of the sender.
    Been there done that!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

6. Member
    Rick, mine is the same way. I ordered a new poppet kit from Don, but haven't replaced it yet to see if it helps... When I do, I'll PM you.
    Champion 206
    250XB

Quote Originally Posted by dkennimer View Post
    Rick, mine is the same way. I ordered a new poppet kit from Don, but haven't replaced it yet to see if it helps... When I do, I'll PM you.
    Yes, Please do let me know. I have checked the poppet valve when I replaced the t-stats for maint.

My temperatures are well within normal range. Just the port bank is about 13 degrees cooler than the starboard bank. But that's in a 90 gallon tank. It's been a busy spring and long winter took forever to warm up here and now I'm busy doing everything else too. So hoping to get out this coming week and see where they run at more normal conditions.
    One more thing water pressure is also within spec but if I raise the idle up to 2000 rpm's for about a minute it does even out to only about 5 degree difference. After about 15 minutes returns to 13 degree difference.

The thermostats were replaced last year I may play with the old ones if running on the lake results are the same as the tank.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"