Help me understand...

What are the advantages to having a good 200 dollar plus rod?

Quote Originally Posted by railey View Post
    What are the advantages to having a good 200 dollar plus rod?
    been in your shoes before. I could never really get to where I was happy with my bottom contact baits. I felt there was more out there and I finally bit the bullet and ordered a nrx from tackle trap. Right off the bat I could tell what I had been missing with other rods. Fishing the same lake, same points, same baits and you can feel things you've never felt before. I mean if your content with your current line up by all means keep on with what you have. It's all preference and I chose to have 4 bottom contact rods and 8+ moving baits which are mostly hammer rods.

I have 6 or 7 100 dollar rods that I can tell are better than some cheaper rods. So I guess you would feel the bottom and subtle bites better with a more expensive rod?

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    It's the same concept as a $100 vs $200 reel.

5. Member
    money is not always a deciding factor on rods.

once you get into the 150+ range I would go custom instead. you get exactly what you want.

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    While there are exceptions, in general as you spend more the rods get lighter and have more sensitivity. If you have issues with elbows, shoulders or wrists a very light rod (such as an NRX) and reel (such as a Steez or Core Mg) combo can be the difference between going fishing and not going fishing.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    Nothing wrong with Light weight. My fav reel is a Lews light.. I CAN tell a difference when using it.. especially after several hours.

so can really bitch about cost when its kicked overboard?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    so can really bitch about cost when its kicked overboard?
    ^^yep^^

10. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Usually much lighter and sensitive.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

I'm probably not in the majority as most with NRX rods. I owned one a couple years back, it was light and super sensitive, but not overly enough to justify the cost over ALX, Hammer, or the 13 envy line. Im not bashing the NRX and by all means if that's what you want to try then do it. I'm just stating my own personal experience. That said I throw crankbaits, jerkbaits, spoons and topwater 85% of the time so I'm not as experienced as others with bottom contact baits.

12. Member
    If I had a $200+ rod I'd throw up if I stepped on it or kicked it overboard. I don't use multi-piece rods and I am comfortable that my equipment functions fully at casting and landing fish as well as being "sensitive".
    I have three or four matching casting bait casting rods on deck but it's totally a function issue, they cost me $12.50 each when a local Sportsman's Tackle store closed, 7 foot one piece fast tip rods.
    I recently picked up two American made All Star rods total investment; $35.00. The one I've tried, a 7&1/2 foot baitcaster seems to be a good addition, even if it doesn't match.
    $200? That's two tanks full of non-ethanol on my Stratos/Suzuki.

13. Banned
    It cost more to replace when you break it, step on it, toss it in the lake, or someone steals it.
    Also, today's $100 rod was $200+ 2-3 years ago.