Thread: slower boat

slower boat

I recently upgraded from a 2015 920/250 Pro XS, to a 2017 920/250 Pro XS. Both rigs have a 25 pitch Fury prop. Both boats are set up identical. The older boat would run loaded with two guys and a full tank 77-78, 79-80 by yourself. The 2017 is maxing out with same load around 73-74, 75-76 alone. Neither were messed with from the factory. Both have a Z-Lock plate set from the factory. Any ideas how to get that speed comparable to the old one? I realize it is still moving on, but it is hard to move to a slower boat, when you are used to the fast one. Maybe I was just lucky with the old one.

Same prop or a different fury, factory props from mercury seem to vary some from one to another in my opinion

Every hull and motor can be a tad different also. And if it's a brand new motor it could get faster as it gets a few hours on it. I ran two identical boats and setups also and one boat was 3-4 mph faster than the other.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Same set up from factory but did you measure to see they were in fact the same PTP? I agree some hours on the engine will loosen it up some as well.

5. Member
    Not every motor puts out the same HP either. Just because they were both 250's doesn't mean they're exactly the same at the prop

6. Member
    The new boat is throwing more rooster tail. Picks up 1 mph if I tick trim down 2-3 times. So, not thinking I should raise the motor? But not really sure.

7. Member
    I'd be willing to bet that some time behind the seat, time dialing in jackplate settings, and some hours on the motor will bridge the gap. If you look at my post history, you'll see a post I made about this time last year asking about the "actual real" speed of a 920. Everyone was claiming to run 75-77 loaded with 2 and I was only getting 73 loaded and 74-75 alone. Saturday I was running 76 loaded with 2 on lake eufaula in 86 degree water and 90 degree air. "yes, sadly enough, the water temp in AL has already reached 86 degrees." Thursday I fished a pot tournament alone and ran 77.4 all the way to my first spot. Boat is running faster now than it was in cold weather. You'll get it right i'm sure. I bet that is frustrating and I know the feeling. These boats drive and handle so well that 3mph slower feels like you are just cruising, even at 73mph.

8. Member
    I really do not remember exactly what the 2015 ran during break-in, or shortly after. I just know it would fly afterward and after some seat-time. I came out of Triton 21 HP's, so driving these is no problem. It just does not seem to lift quite as well as the 15, and seems to create more rooster tail. I am thinking maybe drop the motor a 1/4 inch and see what it does. I am turning 5950 at top end now, so it might drop to around 5900 if I drop it. Bot might create a little more lift and less rooster tail. And maybe more speed.

By the time the motor is broken in, and you set it up right with P2P adjustments and prop work, it will prob end up about the same speed as the last one. Remember, every rig is a tiny bit different, so dont be afraid to give this one what it's asking for, not try to copy the setup of the last one.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mgunter View Post
    I really do not remember exactly what the 2015 ran during break-in, or shortly after. I just know it would fly afterward and after some seat-time. I came out of Triton 21 HP's, so driving these is no problem. It just does not seem to lift quite as well as the 15, and seems to create more rooster tail. I am thinking maybe drop the motor a 1/4 inch and see what it does. I am turning 5950 at top end now, so it might drop to around 5900 if I drop it. Bot might create a little more lift and less rooster tail. And maybe more speed.
    You could go up .5 pitch as well. Save dropping the motor and pick up a tad bit of speed.