Mercury Model/Serial #

Hey everyone, I am new to the forums and I'm hopefully going to be buying my first bass boat soon. I am looking at a boat that has a 2006 optimax 175 supposedly. I say supposedly because I asked him to send me some pictures of the motor and the model/serial number and this is what he sends. See pics. You will notice the decals are gone. He said he was going to do a custom top but never got around to it. But I just think the pic he sent with model/serial looks a little off. Like it was made with a label maker or something. Should this raise red flags?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    My 09 250 Pro XS has a sticker on the transom bracket (sort of near the trim pistons) with S/N and stuff. It is a white sticker about 1 inch square.

That is a label maker decal. No OEM looks like that. Something is up. The original one was removed for some reason. I'd guess some major component was replaced. If it is nearby, go look at it. If it is far, then find another boat.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Banned
    That looks so weird with that big white label on the lower cowling.

5. Member
    here is sticker from 04 OptiMax 200 just for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Thanks all. He did end up sending me a picture of the manufacturer sticker. Motor has 800 hrs on it. Does that seem high for a 2006?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chull View Post
    Thanks all. He did end up sending me a picture of the manufacturer sticker. Motor has 800 hrs on it. Does that seem high for a 2006?
    Can you afford to fix the motor if it blows up the first time you use it? That will be the answer to any question you can think of. They all blow at some point and nobody knows when that will be.

8. Member
    That engine is 11yrs old, 72hrs per year is not high IMO. If a well qualified Merc tech runs a thorough check of the engine and results are good I wouldn't be afraid of the hours - Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    That engine is 11yrs old, 72hrs per year is not high IMO. If a well qualified Merc tech runs a thorough check of the engine and results are good I wouldn't be afraid of the hours - Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine
    +1

Serial# 1B299139
    Model# 1175D73FY
    MERCURY 175DFI L SW (2.5L Optimax)
    DOB: 12/02/05

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chull View Post
    My 06' Opti has just over 300 hours on it.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Roughly 75 hours a year. Well above the "overall national average"- but pretty much in line for your average fishing boat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor