02 Ranger 518VX Flush Mount Cup Holder. Long time coming.

Well after contemplating every cup holder known to man as well as every location possible on my boat and tipping bottles and cups over for years, I finally pulled the trigger. Keep in mind I am the original owner so it is safe to say I procrastinated a bit on this project. I installed a stainless flush mount cup holder on the dash of my 518vx. If you are not aware this boat was built with 1 cupholder. A pretty disappointing location and product considering it is a Ranger. The original "built in" cup holder is on the side wall next to the passenger. When flipped down the passenger rod ramp is kind of useless as all the rods get tangled in the flip down claws and base.

Here it is, I moved a GPS puck to my splash well area then cut the hold for the cup holder. The cup holder install also served as a cover up for the old GPS screws and hole as it installed in the same place. Beneath the dash I used some neoprene tubing to route the water down to the belly of my boat, the cup holder has a drain in the bottom.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140680.../shares/8mH02Z

Seems like a silly thing to give a person so much pleasure but just having that cup holder makes me not have to worry about where my coffee cup is or am I going to tip it over.

Nice idea... I am in the process of adding a coin box with some new SRS seats... The coin Box will have two cup holders.. but you are right, poor design in my mind...
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

3. Member
    Cool project for you. Hope you post pics of that project when you are done. Anxious to see it as that is one of my upcoming projects. Buckets with coin box.

Another idea I have is to make use of the space up under my drivers console. There is a very nice amount of space at the front of the console I think I can fabricate a drop down storage compartment in. Take a look at yours and let me know what you think.

Very nice

The consoles are full of empty space.. hell, on the port side there a ton of space in the rod box that goes up under the console.. like the Dual console but they do consume space and keep you from getting to areas of potential usage.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Doing one on my bow w a drain hose right now, looks good.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Doing one on my bow w a drain hose right now, looks good.
    Considering that too, post photos.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Will do!

Where did you get the SS Cup holder ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    X2... my boat has the cheap plastic ones the ss ones would be a nice touch.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

11. Member
    Great idea! I just ordered 2 off eBay!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadsc View Post
    X2... my boat has the cheap plastic ones the ss ones would be a nice touch.
    I found them at a local marine dealer but you can find them online, eBay or amazon.

Another idea I have is to make use of the space up under my drivers console. There is a very nice amount of space at the front of the console I think I can fabricate a drop down storage compartment in.
    Did you ever do this Pat?
    I rebuilt one from plastic sheet for the starboard side of my boat this year.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=818260

It's still plain white, haven't vinyl wrapped it yet. But it's nice having access to the Plano boxes for tools, etc. vs. going into the front lockers.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    My Wal Mart has them, with and without lighted bottoms......

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Did you ever do this Pat?
    I rebuilt one from plastic sheet for the starboard side of my boat this year.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=818260

It's still plain white, haven't vinyl wrapped it yet. But it's nice having access to the Plano boxes for tools, etc. vs. going into the front lockers.
    Not yet, my console has a shelf of sorts where it meets the front deck. Looks to be a sheet of pultrusion that spans the width of my console and is about 4-5" deep. It is not terribly accessible but it could be used to keep things I don't access frequently if it had a hinged door or even just another piece that created a barrier from things rolling out of it. hmmmm that is an idea. I could install a 2" tall vertical piece and carpet it.

Thanks for bringing this up! I think I have my solution.

Here is something else I have started doing. I use a few things all the time, super glue and a few small tools. I got tired of my super glue rolling all over the boat, spent half my time searching for my glue tubes. SO I started carrying 2-3 of them in the boat. The little buggers always seem to find the same dang hiding places!!!

I got one of these to solve my problem.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FW2MC2...506565516&sr=1

and one of these to stick inside of it for organization:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RNASD2..._t1_B001RUW4GU

My Super glue stands upright and I can even stick small tools (live cutters and split ring pliers) and even jigs and hooks in the edge without any damage. I figure if the foam wears out I will just get another foam insert.

I pull it out of my storage each time I go out. I like it a lot, every thing stays in it and upright, which is important for super glue, it preserves the tubes and keeps them from getting all glued up.

I can move it around if needed too.

I like your idea a lot though because I have maxed out my mesh storage bag on my sidewall under my console.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerbobber View Post
    My Wal Mart has them, with and without lighted bottoms......
    Just a reminder, if you have the BIG Yeti/RTIC/any other stainless cup, make sure you buy the right size. Mine is large enough to handle these big cups but also has a smaller diameter depression int eh bottom to hold smaller cups