Garmin network , turning off bow transducer

Been through the manual, tried to call Garmin, wait time over an hour so asking here. 820sx is networked to 547sx on the bow which is connected to a Minn kota. Cannot find the sequence to turn off the bow transducer. Power down the 547 but the transducer on the Minn kota still pulses. Disable transducer command disables both transducers. Gotta be a way to turn off bow transducer and leave stern transduce to the 847 on??
    Thanks

2. Member
    If you are asking how to stop the transmitting of the sonar, on my 93sv it is like: From a/any SONAR screen, hit MENU and the SONAR TRANSMIT is on that page. Select it and toggle on/off. Hope this helps, if not then I am unsure as to your need.

3. Member
    Somes I babble. Your method would work if the units where not networked. Would not have to do anything except pull the Minnkota out of the water, turn off the bow unit aand transducer would close. Nettworking allows me to read off the bow transducer from the console unit which is great when trolling, get information 20ft sooner. However the problem arrises when the Minnkota is out of the water and the front sonar shut off, the bow transducer is not shutting off. ( due to ethernet connections) Need the command to tell the console unit to read off rear transducer and commard the bow transducer to turn off.
    Thanks for the reply, never going to get the right anwser if I don't ask the right question. Hope I did not babble again.

4. Member
    Anwsered...no easy path. Thanks Guys

5. Member
    Contact Garmin and ask them to add this to their software.

http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Sent request, Thanks again

7. Member
    On the line with Garmin (wait time 30 minutes, whatever happened to "Garmin actually anwsers their phone")....with the above set up networked
    840sx>547s>US connector> Minn kota is there anyway to turn off Minn kota transducer when the Minnkota is not deployed? And system is on?
    Thanks, I will hold.

PS And still read depth off rear transducer

8. Member
    Having a conversation with myself: Garmin Tech said : to 547>SONAR>MENU> SOURCE>840. I have to believe the 547 is reading off the 840 transducer, not on the water to confirm but ... That said the internal MinnKota transducer still pings.
    Every boat with a bow mounted transducer, that is Garmin networked, is running down the lake with their transducer pinging and getting hot. That can't we good for the transducer? (my Lowrance network did not do that)
    When the trasducer fails do you think it would make a diiffence if I installed a Garmin product? First thing the Tech said is he could not speak for Minnkota?

If I am understanding correctly, you are wanting to simply cut power to the internal MinnKota transducer when the trolling motor is out of the water when running (for fear of the xducer overheating). I will say that with Garmin-branded xducers, this is simply not a concern at all. But, it seems that you would need assurance directly from MinnKota folks regarding this.

However, you should be able to cut power to only the MinnKota transducer by simply going into the traditional sonar menu of the 547, and turning Sonar Transmit to Off. As you point out, when hitting the PWR button and selecting Disable All Sonar Transmission, this does cut power to all networked transducers.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Thank you Todd. You understand the question correctly. Just felt a need not to have the transducer pulsing when Minn Kota was stored. Going to Sonar Menu and disabling sonar on the 547 disables all transducers on the net work, which means no sonar at the console when running. Might as well just shut down the network. If the Minn Kota can' t be turned off, that's fine. I just thought for sure, like all computers their had to be a "work around"
    The Minn Kota spends way more time in the water than out of the water. Maybe they don't get hot? I guess if it burns out I will replace with a Garmin.
    Thanks Again.

11. Member
    This is not my experience as to how turning transmit on/off works. I could be doing something wrong but I cannot get selecting transmitting. I don't use an xd in the trolling motor but I do have a GT8 plugged into the 8 pin port on my 7610. I have a GT51 in the 12 pin port and a PS31 also connected. I can turn on and off the PS31 at will but going to the PS31 menu and selecting Transmit On/Off. However when I go to the Menu for the GT8 and turn transmit off, it also turns off all transmitting to the GT51. Similarly when I select the 2d, ClearVu or SideVu menu for the GT51 and select Transmit On/Off it applies this setting to the GT8. This is when my units are not networked. Ususally they are not so I can gain at least some selective control at the unit level.

Today I plugged the network cable in and set the preferences for each unit to look at its own transducer. I got the same results. I don't care much for how this functions and as far as I know there is not a brand that does networking to suit me. It's not that far off but not there. Network units all have the capability to put their sonar on the ethernet channel, so put it there. Now as far as displaying goes I want to be able to display whatever is available on the ethernet channel in any combination I choose. Can't do it.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

12. Member
    Before I crossed over from the dark side , my Lowrance was networked , bow and console. When directed, the console MFD would read the bow tranducer. When I shut off the bow MDF before lifting the Minn Kota out of the water the console MFD would revert to the rear transducer automatically or if I just turned the bow MFD off, the Console MFD would seek an active transducer. I thought that was the" way the world worked "

When ready to start fishing If I did not deploy the Minnkota transducer "before" turning on the bow MDF the unit would often search but would not find bottom, especially in deeper water. I am sure that will not be a problem with Garmin

I'm not around any units right now to test, but an engineer did this morning, and disabling sonar transmit should work just as described. With two MFDs and a transducer connected to and sourced to each MFD, disabling sonar transmit on one unit did not affect the sonar transmit on the other unit, and vice versa. Do note that disabling sonar transmit from any of the Traditional, ClearVu, or SideVu menus will turn off all sonar channels on the “sourced” MFD. Leonard, in your specific example, both transducers are connected to the same MFD, so disabling one sonar will cause all channels on all transducers connected to that MFD to stop transmitting.
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Banned
    One thing I hated about my 7612s was, once they were networked, I could no longer use the power button and the disable all sonar selection. If I did it would disable all sonar on every networked unit, not just the unit I was using at the time.

I had to turn sonar on and off individually every time I moved. so this was the process. On the bow I used a 3 way split with 2d, panoptix and mapping. I would touch the 2d panel, hit settings and Turn on with the transmit setting. Touch the panoptix panel, hit settings and turn sonar on. When I left the bow I could hit power and choose disable all sonar because when I returned to the console I was normally moving to a new spot and I didn't need sonar since I always used either engine data or mapping full screen.

On my console unit I usually used a 3 way split with 2d, side and down. I couldn't use the power button and the enable all sonar selection because it would enable the bow unit transducer as well.... but with using the 3 way split screen all I had to do was turn on sonar on any of the 3 screens and it would turn on all three. So obviously panoptix was separate for some reason. I never did find a way to separate the units so I could control them individually

Heres the transmit on selection

15. Member
    To read off bow transducer......840>SONAR> TRADITIONAL>SOURCE>BOW...to turn off bow transducer ..547>SONAR>TRADITIONAL>MENU>DISABLE
    (Disables both units) To turn 840 back on...... SONAR>TRADITIONAL>SOURCE>BUILT-IN. (Now reading at the console and the Minnkota is not pinging.)
    Thanks Guys, I can live with that, it is the work around ....

16. Member
    Don't know how to attach to current thread, but here is my work around for turning off one transducer..have different units today but same work a round.