Are oil tanks from a 1998 EFI the same as on a 2003 EFI? Oil alarm swapping engines.

I am replacing my 1998 175 EFI with a 2003 200 EFI. I am getting an oil alarm on my smartcraft gage. I am using the same oil tank that was for my 1998 EFI, are they compatible or do I need to replace the tank with a different model? Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Really cannot accurately answer this question without the serial numbers (Mercury does NOT use "years"- and the later engine could be one of 3 designs/models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I apologize for not providing the info required. I looked for the sn sticker in usual spot, there is none. I just got this motor used and now realize that sn sticker is missing. Is there another way of locating the sn other than the sticker? This is obviously a concern. I am wondering if it just fell off or if there could be another issue all together. I have heard that freeze plugs can have it on them but do not know where to find it on my motor. As far as I know it is a 2003 200hp EFI. The emissions sticker says 2m9xm02.51c0. Not sure if this helps at all..

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    At least that confirms it's a 2.5 model...

There would likely be a WHITE sticker applied at the port-side cylinder head mating surface as well. The primary sticker (at swivel bracket) doesn't usually "fall" or "wash" off. Peeling it off leaves a "VOID" behind on the bracket (unless rubbed away with a relatively aggressive solvent).

Use your best judgement...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    found sticker on starbord side. serial:0T543072
    Model: 1200424Zy

Does that make sense?

6. Member
    It looks like that is it. I did a search on Merc parts and it came up as the right motor. Thanks for the help.
    Now, my oil issue.. I had a '98 175 efi on boat before sn: 0G741193. We installed the '03 200hp EFI SN: 0T543072 and used same oil reservoir as before. I am getting the oil alarm coming on and when I run it it, it will turn off for a bit, only to alarm again. So, intermittent oil alarms. (not the beeping, I know the beeps are intermittent, the icons on the electronic gage go away while I am running hard, but eventually return and it alarms again) The small tank on the side of the engine is about 7/8ths full. (maybe 2 to 3 inches from all the way full.) Seems to maintain that level but never gets all the way full. We checked the float inside the small tank and it is not stuck. Any ideas? Is there a new style reservoir for the boat that I need or is it likely something else.. Thanks

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHchamp View Post
    It looks like that is it. I did a search on Merc parts and it came up as the right motor. Thanks for the help.
    Now, my oil issue.. I had a '98 175 efi on boat before sn: 0G741193. We installed the '03 200hp EFI SN: 0T543072 and used same oil reservoir as before. I am getting the oil alarm coming on and when I run it it, it will turn off for a bit, only to alarm again. So, intermittent oil alarms. (not the beeping, I know the beeps are intermittent, the icons on the electronic gage go away while I am running hard, but eventually return and it alarms again) The small tank on the side of the engine is about 7/8ths full. (maybe 2 to 3 inches from all the way full.) Seems to maintain that level but never gets all the way full. We checked the float inside the small tank and it is not stuck. Any ideas? Is there a new style reservoir for the boat that I need or is it likely something else.. Thanks
    Bold text is where your problem is, follow the recommendation in this topic and see if that solves the alarm - Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Bold text is where your problem is, follow the recommendation in this topic and see if that solves the alarm - Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank

9. Member
    Thank you gentlemen!!