Question 250 SHO Recurring Noise ?????

Was on the lake this past weekend. Air temp was about 90 degrees. Motor is off and trimmed up. I began to hear a recurring noise that sounded as if something was engaging or ?? Inside the cowling. Took the cowl off and found that if I hit the trim up or down that it would make the noise once the trim cycled. Shut the power off at the disconnect and it still did it.

Could it be the fuel pump or a pressure relief of somekind ?????

Did not do it at all the next day.

Motor is 2016, runs fine

Thanks

Darryl
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

2. Member

Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    Nope, not the same thing.
    Mine makes this same noise from under the cowling when the motor is off. It does not do it every time out as I fished all day yesterday and it did not do it. Its hard to explain but its definitely coming from under the cowl. Like said above it kinda sounds like the fuel pump is cycling or something. I tried turning the key switch on and off, cranking the engine for a few minutes then shut it off but it doesn't stop the noise. I never posted this before because I thought maybe I was the only one that noticed it or had it.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

4. Member
    Mine is the same as T-bob, noting to do with the grease on the trim pistons. I turned off the key as well
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

If it sounds like a tug boat horn blowing short blasts every so often way off in the distance, almost out of hearing distance, mine is doing it as well intermittently.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by H22BASS250SHO View Post
    If it sounds like a tug boat horn blowing short blasts every so often way off in the distance, almost out of hearing distance, mine is doing it as well intermittently.
    Yep, that's it! Anyone think its related to having the engine flashed??
    Xpress X19/200SHO

Havent heard mine do anything like that but I dont pay it much attention when it's off haha.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

8. Member
    Are yall letting them cool off after a run by letting it idle for a minute? Just a thought, it could be water in the hot block getting pressurized by left over heat.

9. Member
    Mine is 2 months old and my buddy's is a 2014 and both of them make a noise from time to time when they're off. Sounds like something is still energized under the cowl. Both boats are z520's and the motors are 250's

10. Member
    Mine does it too. I've posted about it on here before but haven't really gotten anyone to pin down what's causing it. I only know that it seems to do it more when the air temp is hotter outside than when it is cooler and it aggrevates me to here it when I'm fishing. I did read on here something about an electronic something or another resetting to get ready for the next restart after the key is turned off but I don't think that is what mine does. But I think it was jethro1 or randyt that posted that and they seem to know some stuff, but I''m not positive. Anyway, it sounds like a faint fog horn or something, like a humm. I'm thinking fuel pump cycling or something but I can't figure it out either. I bet it's going on more than people realize and they're just not hearing it.

11. Member
    Mine does it to and it's a 2010 250.I hit the trim up and down and it will not do it any more.

12. Member
    I will try that too next time newbugman. Haven't done that yet to see if it'll stop making the noise. 2011 250 btw, has always done it. I have a video of it on my phone I will try to post on here. Everyone should be able to turn sound up and hear the noise it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bob View Post
    Yep, that's it! Anyone think its related to having the engine flashed??
    I'm also wondering about if its a side effect of the flash. I actually blew it off as a tug the first time I was hearing it. This year on one of my Toledo Bend runs I started hearing it and that's when I realized it's my motor. It's hard to tell 22 feet away

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

14. Member
    My ECU is NOT flashed. And it's always made the noise, it's just intermittently and seems to be mostly when the weather is warmer. Some days it doesn't do it at all.