Thread: push pole?

push pole?

Looking to make a push pole for my TR21! Has anyone made one and if so out of what material? I would like one but can't justify 300 bucks for one! TIA
    2001 Triton TR21 w/ 2008 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member

USA

I have thought about making one many times. But the problem is WHERE DO I PUT IT WHEN NOT IN USE. I was going to use PVC pipe and fittings. Commonly you have Schedule 40 and Schedule 80. 80 is heavier and more ridged than 40 and might work better. 40 is white and 80 is dark grey ( it should also be printed on the pipe ). Good Luck.

3. Member
    They make the push poles for duck hunting boats. DotLine makes one and they're on Tackle Warehouse. The feet I don't think you can push very hard with maybe modify the ends or find PVC for the ends. But the pole is $37. Collapsed is 58" and expands to 12' telescoping with button snaps.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

I had this old extension pole that was originally purchased to change light bulbs. It has a pipe thread fitting on the end so I bought PVC fittings to make the end. When not in use, I store it under the seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Pretty common add-on in Texas salt flat boats. Just about everyone carries one. You don't want to get out to push when stranded on a live oyster reef. They will cut you and your boots to ribbons.

In the past, I have used a 1 1/2 inch Gray electrical PVC with a Tee top. You might slide a wooden closet rod inside for stiffness. Make it to fit inside of your boat. The electrical PVC has UV protection, white does not. Some guys just use the wooden closet pole.

Presently I use a carbon fiber rod that doubles as a stick type anchor. I just added a Tee to the end.

richg99

6. Member
    I thought about making one out of an old Pole vault pole you know it wouldn't break

7. Member
    I found a discarded swimming pool cleaning pole with the open (business end) slightly bent. I just cut 4 or 5 inches off it and used a PVC "T" with caps on each side to enclose the end. When not in use it collaposes to approx 6 ft and fits in the rod box or starboard box. Extended it's approx 12". They come in diff lengths and I've seen the shorter ones at Walmart for approx $17.

8. Member
    Check out a Super Stick push pole. Fits in your rod locker.

9. Member
    I made one out of 2 pieces of metal conduit. I machined an aluminum plug that press fit into one of the conduit pieces and slip fit in the other. A 1/4-20 pipe screw and a wing nut keeps it together when in use. When apart it just goes in my rod locker.

Avery Outdoors Trac-Loc Push Pole https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001COT2LQ..._z4mpzb5YZF8KZ
    I use this one with the extra foot, lightweight and collapsible

11. Member
    I fished with a guide a Lake Fork several years ago that used a 14" wooden bannister. Pretty indestructible and can find at most large hardware stores. Worked well for him.