Question Motorguide or Minnkota?

I know I'm fixing to start a firestorm, but here goes. I'm looking to upgrade to a GPS integrated trolling motor. I'd like to install power poles, but, i spend majority of time in water over 8' deep. So, I've decided to upgrade my older trolling motor.

This will be a two part question. First: Minnkota or Motorguide and why? (on a budget here, so want best for the $$). Second: Currently have 24v system on boat with 75lb TM. Would you upgrade to 36v and add the third tm battery? Or stay with 24v 80+lb TM?

thanks in advance,

Clay
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

2. Member
    I have an 80# MG XI5 and absolutely love it on my 17' Stratos. Would've gone 36v if budget allowed it....esp for river fishing.

A 36v would be the best option for a larger boat...imo.

3. Member
    Chicken or the egg? I would stay with the one I have because I beat the hell out of it and it still works, and I like which side the button is on the foot pedal.

4. Member
    If you want to link your TM with your electronics then you have no choice:
    Lowrance --> MG
    Humminbird --> MK
    IMHO both make great TM's, you can't go wrong with either...

5. Member
    had problems with my xi5.hate the pedal, returned it and yes paid more for the ultrex 80 ad love it. its on a 20ft ranger love it

6. Member
    I run the MG XI5 80. Anchor feature alone is gold, especially in wind. Also works well with my preference in electronics, Lowrance. No issues after a year and a bit, except..and it's a big one. The foot pedal sucks, I now mainly use the remote. After 20 years of using a foot pedal, not a welcomed adjustment. I fish more walleye than bass, the trade offs are worth it for me. If you have to have good foot pedal control, I would suggest you try it before purchasing. I do not regret buying it, just can't believe MG would not have made a better effort on the foot pedal.

Previous TM was a MG with the earlier Pinpoint system, corded electric foot pedal. Although not as good control as a cable steer, much better then the current version. If I had to do it again, I would take a hard look at the newest MK, even with the extra cost.

The 5K I just spent on a Lowrance system may have gone to Hummingbird...Once you experience the benefits of these new GPS TM's, there is no going back. If you take inexperienced friends out, they are priceless.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    had problems with my xi5.hate the pedal, returned it and yes paid more for the ultrex 80 ad love it. its on a 20ft ranger love it
    If the Ultrex was out when I bought the MG, I would have probably done the same. I can't see the pure bass guys putting up the the MG foot pedal. I thought at first I had a defective system, until I started seeing the same complaints from others. Paid the early adopter price. Not sure why MG thought they needed a wireless foot pedal over one that just works, crazy..

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Minn Kota Ultrex over the XI5 anyday...