Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I'm a boat packrat. The 496 back compartments are the holdup for me. Love the boat otherwise though. The right deal and I'd go for a 496.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTx496 View Post
    No love for the 496?? I rarely run mine WOT but get 73 with a half tank of gas, Talon 10', and all my tackle with a stock Tempest 25.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by procraftokie View Post
    I'm a boat packrat. The 496 back compartments are the holdup for me. Love the boat otherwise though. The right deal and I'd go for a 496.
    What's wrong with the back storage? Not big enough?

4. Member
    Yep, that's the only thing I don't like on the whole rig

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    That's not a bad speed for the 797 wish I had the time to play with a Honda.I bet set up they will run .
    LETS find a time to play with set up and props ect..... i only have a tempest plus prop would live to find one that will get me hear 70 currently 64.5 with half tank and 2 people. you know where i can try out props near you or near me or at LOZ?
    SEAGUAR

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rduffy75 View Post
    LETS find a time to play with set up and props ect..... i only have a tempest plus prop would live to find one that will get me hear 70 currently 64.5 with half tank and 2 people. you know where i can try out props near you or near me or at LOZ?
    Iam ready!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rduffy75 View Post
    I have the same boat as you, even got it from the same divorced guy. I'm running a reworked PowerTech prop that was on the boat from HondaRay. I have no idea what has been done to it. At Hick's request I sent it in to Mark Croxton to be measured. I put secret markings on it to make sure I got back MY prop! Hick said his copy wasn't as good as mine. We live on the same lake, I have a webcam set on my boat lift to make sure it stays where it belongs. The best I ever did was on a cool day a few weeks ago, the water was perfect, I had the lake to myself, I ran out of guts and lake at 70.3, for those who keep score by 10ths. I can only get it to that speed in the spring or fall. In the heat of the summer it's mid to upper 60s. I need this engine to outlive me, so I don't redline it for extended periods. At my age, I ain't getting divorced to try another boat or engine. To get that speed I had to continually adjust the jackplate, up and down as well as trim, when I found the sweet spot, I know I was right on the ragged edge, the boat felt real loose, never chine walked,but I reckon I wasn't far off. I'm way happier and comfortable getting 6 mpg at a lower speed. BUT it is nice to know it's there if I need/want it. My spare prop is a Croxton Razor, but it's just a spare, I have no intention of getting it worked unless I throw a blade on the PowerTech. If getting the last few mphs out of it is critical, hang a SHO or ProXS on it and deal with the possibility of grenading it. As for me, I'll take the reliability of that Honda any day.
    Last edited by kstolting; 04-26-2017 at 10:18 PM.

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    That divorced guy must marry some rich cougars .

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Me and Ken could run 68 in your boat Duff with his prop on it. Cause we ran it to see what was going on. That was with a good load of fuel also.

I have a guy that knows my third ex's cousin that should be getting some props to try from fifth ex's husband to try.

Ill keep you posted on what comes about.

I can't talk to him about it personally, something about a restraining order

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Now that's a lot of ex relatives !

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Relatively speaking of course!!

12. Member
    thanks for all the great info.....does any one have a pic 797 at rest... I am really leaning 596 so far.....also any dealers close to Lufkin area? or Beaumont area? Texas

13. Member
    Here ya go, prolly missed it at the top of the forum:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=65786

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wall View Post
    thanks for all the great info.....does any one have a pic 797 at rest... I am really leaning 596 so far.....also any dealers close to Lufkin area? or Beaumont area? Texas
    Here go ...

Quote Originally Posted by thurman View Post
    For information, S EastTx Sports in Lumberton Texas is now a Charger dealer. Go by and visit with Pat Mayer for a good deal on a new Charger bass boat.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kstolting View Post
    I have the same boat as you, even got it from the same divorced guy. I'm running a reworked PowerTech prop that was on the boat from HondaRay. I have no idea what has been done to it. At Hick's request I sent it in to Mark Croxton to be measured. I put secret markings on it to make sure I got back MY prop! Hick said his copy wasn't as good as mine. We live on the same lake, I have a webcam set on my boat lift to make sure it stays where it belongs. The best I ever did was on a cool day a few weeks ago, the water was perfect, I had the lake to myself, I ran out of guts and lake at 70.3, for those who keep score by 10ths. I can only get it to that speed in the spring or fall. In the heat of the summer it's mid to upper 60s. I need this engine to outlive me, so I don't redline it for extended periods. At my age, I ain't getting divorced to try another boat or engine. To get that speed I had to continually adjust the jackplate, up and down as well as trim, when I found the sweet spot, I know I was right on the ragged edge, the boat felt real loose, never chine walked,but I reckon I wasn't far off. I'm way happier and comfortable getting 6 mpg at a lower speed. BUT it is nice to know it's there if I need/want it. My spare prop is a Croxton Razor, but it's just a spare, I have no intention of getting it worked unless I throw a blade on the PowerTech. If getting the last few mphs out of it is critical, hang a SHO or ProXS on it and deal with the possibility of grenading it. As for me, I'll take the reliability of that Honda any day.
    That is about what Kieth Hays runs with his with his Pro XS so you are in good company.
    Last edited by Sports1; 04-27-2017 at 06:20 AM.

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

71-72 in the bay boat,as you can see it lifting and that boat is over 22 ft and wider /bigger than the 797(2300-2400 lbs).Its all about setup.This was the chase boat when we were filming the 797.Problem was the 797would walk off and leave the film boat.

This was my son 14 at the time I told him to stay by us so we could get some photos,needless to say he thought it was funny to leave the film crew eating his wake.Good thing Tommy had a big zoom lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 04-27-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wall View Post
    I am really leaning 596 so far
    That is the smart choice.

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

595/596 same boat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 04-27-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123