Handle resistence/tight?

I've been learning/teaching myself and gaining confidence pulling reels apart and putting them back together..(started with old reels). I cleaned up a couple old shimanos.. still learning what to grease, what to oil...

i have 2 that I put back together.. the spools spin freely just fine/perfect, but here's a lot of resistence turning/cranking the handle... can any of y'all suggest what I need to do to check or how do I correct that?

2. Member
    Did you clean the gears and the anti reverse bearing? You may need to put some grease back on the gears.

3. Member
    Yes, and yes, I put a lil ardent reel butter on the gears.. I did not clean the Anti reverse bearing other than just kinda swab out some of the excess gunk I saw with a q tip.. I was told to leave that part alone... but in my mind, I think that's the problem and am tempted to pull it back out and clean thoroughly..

4. Member
    Did you use the reel butter grease or reel butter oil? I say this because I had this exact issue with a lews tournament pro when I did a regear for the first time. Thought I'd be ok with oil. They needed grease. Felt like I was reeling a crankbait even with no line on the reel. opened back up, greased gears, good as new.

5. Member
    I used the reel butter grease....

strangely, I was thinking I should've used just the oil instead of grease..

6. Member
    Ok if you are greased well then there are 2 other likely/possible causes. 1 is improper drag washer/ gear set reassembly. Try backing drag all the way off and reeling. If this loosens it up then it's a drag assembly issue. 2. the anti reverse bearing got cleaned up real good and Was reinstalled dry and is causing some resistance. Keep in mind, I am no pro now. I maintenance/rebuild my own reels and my experience comes strictly from that and going through exact situation you are in now. If someone else reading this sees me giving bad advice i take no offense in being told so. I suggest that you sit down with the reel with a YouTube video of that reel being broke down, cleaned, and reassembled. Redo it. I've had one go back together sloppy and in doing it over I corrected the issue.

7. Member
    Sounds like the reverse bearing is not seated correctly in the housing/side plate. Take the side plate back off and push the reverse bearing, from the bottom, and make sure it is flush. Do not put any oil or grease on the reverse bearing.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman13 View Post
    Sounds like the reverse bearing is not seated correctly in the housing/side plate. Take the side plate back off and push the reverse bearing, from the bottom, and make sure it is flush. Do not put any oil or grease on the reverse bearing.

Ill try that.. I've moved on from that reel but I'll mess with it later tonight maybe..