80# Trolling Motors

I am considering a Z20 with Verado.

I have heard conflicting reports on 80# trolling motors vs. 112#. I am considering an Ultrex. Is 80# sufficient for all day fishing in mild river currents or holding boat on windy days? I would like to save the battery weight with 24V system. The weight of the saved battery could offset the weight of a Verado.

2. Member
    The Z20 is a pretty heavy boat and with river currents in an 8 hour day, the 112# is worth the added 60# of weight. I think you would be disappointed with the 80#, I have had both on 20' boats and I will never have an 80# again unless I had a smaller rig, in my opinion there is little comparison between the two.

3. Member
    You wont notice the extra battery with a z20. 2 friends both have z8's, one with an 80 and the other with a 112. The 112 is a huge difference on that size boat
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

Aline's like you fish no matter what, you will want a 112, I'm sure 80 is plenty for many people but not you or I.

5. Member
    I have an 80# on my z8 and I fish in the Kansas wind. Im not sure how that compares to river current but I'm sure its close. There are times I kinda wish I had a 36v system for the extra power but I have never run out of battery. When I buy again I will buy a 112# Ultrex as the Motorguide x5 I have now is a nice unit but I have already snapped a steering cable and it does not have the anchor feature. Also on the x5 I have to yank the crap out of the cable to get the pins to release it from stowed or deployed.
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

6. Member
    Thank you all for the input. I actually decided on a 21 foot so the 112# Ultrex.

@Brewerbass, I agree I went from a 12v 47# to a 36v 112 on my 17ft. It would attempt to eject if I wasn't careful and could troll at 4.6 MPH. I connected it as 24v and it is much smoother.