Raising my boat trailer.....

I have a 1975 Ranger that trailers great but the trailer is so low it hits a high spot in my driveway ....Is there a way I can lift it a few inches? There are no shocks , just springs..Tires are brand new and I got the largest I could that would fit the fenders..

2. Member
    Get larger fenders and larger tires? I guess you could get longer u bolts and put blocks between the axle and trailer.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you raise it a few inches you'll end up with wet feet. Every inch you raise it makes you back in 6" further to load or unload.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If you raise it a few inches you'll end up with wet feet. Every inch you raise it makes you back in 6" further to load or unload.
    That would depend on the angle of the boat ramp.
    weld some shackle extensions to the frame.
    When I was a kid all the cool kids did that to jack the rear end of there cars up.

5. Member
    What part of the trailer is dragging? If it is the axle you have done all you can do by putting bigger tires on it. If it is some other part of the trailer dragging you might try putting a longer shackle on the rear spring mount (assuming it has shackes on the back) but like catfan said it will make you have to back in deeper unless you lower the boat on the trailer.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Get larger fenders and larger tires? I guess you could get longer u bolts and put blocks between the axle and trailer.
    That's what I did on my previous boat trailer- it allowed me to go from 13" tires to 14" tires.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    What part of the trailer is dragging? If it is the axle you have done all you can do by putting bigger tires on it. If it is some other part of the trailer dragging you might try putting a longer shackle on the rear spring mount (assuming it has shackes on the back) but like catfan said it will make you have to back in deeper unless you lower the boat on the trailer.

X2 Really need to know what the problem is first.

Big difference between a cross member dragging and the axel.

8. Member
    There is a good possibility, that over 42 years, the leaf springs on your trailer have flattened out and the bushings are worn out causing the trailer to sit lower. This was the case with my 1984 trailer. I replaced the leaf springs (with the proper load range) and bushings last year, and the trailer is now about 1.5" higher (back to it's original height), both sides now sit level, and the ride is much better. Leaf springs and bushings are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace.
    Last edited by OnTRAK; 04-24-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Drop spindles

Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    There is a good possibility, that over 42 years, the leaf springs on your trailer have flattened out and the bushings are worn out causing the trailer to sit lower. This was the case with my 1984 trailer. I replaced the leaf springs (with the proper load range) and bushings last year, and the trailer is now about 1.5" higher (back to it's original height), both sides now sit level, and the ride is much better. Leaf springs and bushings are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace.
    ^ +1! I had the same issue with saggy leaf springs, and gained back over an inch of tire/fender clearance.

11. Member
    Camping trailers have hard rubber wheels and axles that bolt to the trailer to help glide over issues like this without scraping, you might try one or two of those.