Spinning Reel ideas in the $100-$160 range

Hi Guys,

Need some help/input on picking out a good spinning reel (2000 to 2500 size) in the $100-$160 for my Son to use for Panfish & Bass (and maybe a Speckled Trout trip or 2 per year). I admittedly just don't know much about spinning gear as I only keep one in the boat (Shimano Stradic Ci4). Shimano, Daiwa, & Abu all seem to have good offerings in that range but not sure which model to pull the trigger on? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Thanks, Todd

2. Member
    I like my Daiwa Procyon and I believe they are $150

3. Member

4. Member
    Ballistic and Procyon are hard to beat for the money. I would add a line roller bearing if possible to help with the line twist and improve retrieve smoothness.

5. Member
    Daiwa Procyon is all i use and can be had online for $150.00...Drag is as smooth as anything out there.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

6. Member
    Pflueger Supreme, it is $100 and a bargain at that price. The reel is super smooth with sealed drag and the 30 size which is the same as most others in the 2500 size is almose 3 ounces lighter than the Ballistic.

Not to argue but my and my buddy's Supreme reels are great, until it rains, then they bind up and you can hardly turn the handle, also my President too. But a Daiwa or Shimano.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    Not to argue but my and my buddy's Supreme reels are great, until it rains, then they bind up and you can hardly turn the handle, also my President too. But a Daiwa or Shimano.
    Something is wrong with those reels then. I've been using Pflueger Presidents for over 10 years, in all kinds of weather, and never had any issues like that. And yea, they are half the price the OP is talking about.

But I agree, Shimano makes excellent reels in that price range. You can even snag a stradic CI4+ on the upper end too.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    The of river anglers in y area use to call Shimano spinning reels, "Shimbindo" because the second they got wet they would bind and be useless until they dried out. I've had Pflueger spinning reels over 10 years myself and have had them dunked and no issues. They have a sealed drag too which helps and keeps water an dirt out to insure the drag won't have issues. In 30+ years of bass fishing the only reels ever had that actually failed were two Shimano Symetres. Shimano makes great reels but I think anything under a Stradic isn't worth the money. Daiwa builds solid spinning reels, probably the best but their mid tier reels are heavy.

10. Member
    I've bought Pfueger spinners and something about them....don't feel as connected as my Shimanos. They are very smooth, but something is off. Kinda like when you drive a Porsche and then jump into a Toyota....Toyota is nice and smooth, but you loose that connection to the road.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

11. Member
    FWIW, the binding issues on Shimanos (it is widely accepted that a bushing that "isn't supposed to expand when wet", per Shimano Corporate, is the culprit) is well known. Between Daiwa and Shimano, both have their strengths and small weaknesses - Shimano tends to have line roller bearings that last longer, and under hard duress of hard/long running game fish (mostly SW use), the gears usually stay smoother longer. Daiwa, IMO, has better over drags and line lay along with the fact that their reels have not exhibited any type of binding in weather. Daiwa spinning reels, like their BCs, tend to be tighter in tolerance and have a more direct cranking/operation feel, while the Shimanos tend to have a fluid feel with some play in their function.

In your price range, I would look for some older models as you can find higher end level spinners in mint/used condition in this price range. Otherwise for new, the Cabelas OEM (Daiwa) and a Ballistic would be my top pics for USDM or a same level JDM reel like the Shimano Ultegra in the same price point.

Of course, for around ~ $100, the SS Tournament series exhibits little, if any of the weaknesses of all "modern spinners" from the last 15 years or so...it just doesn't have the "accessorized flash".

I have never fished a Pflueger.

Good luck.

12. Member
    Can't locate the Cabelas OEM or Ballistic. Do you have a link?

I also have my eye on the SS Tournament.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    Can't locate the Cabelas OEM or Ballistic. Do you have a link?

I also have my eye on the SS Tournament.
    Try the Arachnid and Verano re-branded models with Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ref=prd1885023

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ref=prd2218042

IMO, so long as your Son is okay not having perfect rotor balance and an IAR, the SS Tournament 1300 is an excellent all around performer and is near bullet proof.