Stain in Fiberglass from green bait - Wetsand it?

So I bought a boat and it has a stain in the fiberglass, it ate into the fiberglass and left a color and an indentation.

I have a detailer coming tomorrow, he looked at it today and tried to use some acid remover which did not help. Should wet sanding take it out??

2010 Nitro Z7
    2001 Nitro NX882 (for sale)
    2013 Ranger Z520C (gone)
    2004 Skeeter ZX190 (gone)
    1987 Ranger 375V (gone)

2. Member
    looks like the work of some zman elaztech - i've seen them eat through plano boxes but never gel coat.

i'm guessing you will have to sand and then put some gelcoat on it.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    looks like the work of some zman elaztech - i've seen them eat through plano boxes but never gel coat.

i'm guessing you will have to sand and then put some gelcoat on it.

Im gonna have him wetsand it for me. No idea what did it. I can buy some liquid gelcoat in a boat store? Ive never done this before.
    2010 Nitro Z7
    2013 Ranger Z520C (gone)
    1987 Ranger 375V (gone)

4. Member
    I wouldn't even bother with it. Replace your carpet in the floor to cover that area also. Any amount of sanding will require that you re-gel that area so really isn't worth it when it can be fixed with a simple carpet replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    I wouldn't even bother with it. Replace your carpet in the floor to cover that area also. Any amount of sanding will require that you re-gel that area so really isn't worth it when it can be fixed with a simple carpet replacement.

Yea but I could just mix up a little gelcoat and place it over the top for the time being once the color is gone.
    2010 Nitro Z7
    2013 Ranger Z520C (gone)
    1987 Ranger 375V (gone)

6. Member
    Did you try acetone to remove the discoloration?

I'd get some rubber mat, like used on bows for stepping on, and cut to exact fit in that spot, and just cover it. then would look like part of the foot area anyway. save time & Money$

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    I'd get some rubber mat, like used on bows for stepping on, and cut to exact fit in that spot, and just cover it. then would look like part of the foot area anyway. save time & Money$
    My thought exactly.

Yep, I agree with some rubber mat glued on there... I've seen gel coat stains like this and it can penetrate the gelcoat completely, all the way through. So you basically can sand the gelcoat down to the fiberglass trying to get rid of it. I would try some Mequiar's Cleaner Wax (guys, if you don't own a bottle of this stuff, get it... it's a miracle stain remover... will even remove rust stains from quartz countertops, stains in acrylic tubs and shower pans, removes black streaks from RVs with zero effort etc..) and polish the area with it and see if it makes a dent: http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/pr...x-liquid-16oz/

If you polish with this and it doesn't improve, then the stain is deep and will be a PITA to remove, I would just go with the rubber mat idea in that case.

Whats the best place to get the mat? Anything that will match those ranger rubber foot spots? Also what glue would i use to put it down with?

Can i buy everything local you think? Like home depot?
    2010 Nitro Z7
    2013 Ranger Z520C (gone)
    1987 Ranger 375V (gone)

http://www.rubbercal.com/rubber-mat/...nner-mats.html

Looking at this and I will template it with some paper onto cardboard then onto the Rubber mat and cut then use some liquid cement to place it down
    2010 Nitro Z7
    2013 Ranger Z520C (gone)
    1987 Ranger 375V (gone)

Why would you need to put gel back on it.....just sand and buff.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    Gasoline and a match! Take the gasoline pour a little on a rag and wipe the stain off! It will take a little elbow grease! Then take the match light the grill and grill the steak you bought with the money you saved! Lol!
    Gas worked for me when I dumped spike it on my boat. I'd be sure to wax that area afterwards
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

14. Banned
    Sun will probably fade it over time... Dan