1993 Startos 264 16ft. Bass Boat-Does the hull have wood beams in it?

Greeting,
    This is my first post on the forum and I am actually asking a question for my Dad. He just bought a 1993 Stratos 264 16 ft. Bass boat and wants to know if the hull uses wood beams for support. He knows that the hull itself is fiberglass but the transom rotted on his 85 bb and he is a little paranoid that the same thing will happen to this one. Can anyone help me answer his question/concern?
    Thanks,
    RBF

Id be willing to bet the stringers, transom and floor/deck is wood in that boat but im sure somebody will confirm.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    I believe they went all composite in 1998 or 1999. My 273 is a '99 is all 100% composite.

4. Member
    Starcraftss, I don't doubt what you're saying,but boat builders also consider plywood to be a composite,and it is.

Yep if it has wood in it they can still call it a composite so dont be fooled. Lots have been surprised!

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Starcraftss, I don't doubt what you're saying,but boat builders also consider plywood to be a composite,and it is.
    Almost positive...that Stratos have no wood after '98. I've read that it's called a "Flexcore" transom.

99 was the year but there was still wood within.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Around 97 or 98 is when a lot of mfrs figured out the term "composite" sold boats and still used wood so that was the catch phrase. It even added to the msrp on some special edition "C" models

And wood is not a voodoo thing. Millions of boats out there with no problems. Not taking care of one is when it becomes a problem. But you can have a rotten "composite" transom by not resealing penetrations and leaving the drain plug in so it all comes down to how well its cared for. I had a 96 hydra sports and all my friends got em around the same time. Theirs rotted around the floor drains and my old one is solid to this day with the original floor. But its been well cared for by its 2 owners. Wood can be good just check it out

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    And wood is not a voodoo thing. Millions of boats out there with no problems. Not taking care of one is when it becomes a problem. But you can have a rotten "composite" transom by not resealing penetrations and leaving the drain plug in so it all comes down to how well its cared for. I had a 96 hydra sports and all my friends got em around the same time. Theirs rotted around the floor drains and my old one is solid to this day with the original floor. But its been well cared for by its 2 owners. Wood can be good just check it out
    Sorry, but it is a voodoo thing. No one smart would but an old used boat with floors or transom made of wood. It's just not smart.

I had a 94 Stratos 284FS that I bought new back in the day, and it was wood!
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass newb View Post
    Sorry, but it is a voodoo thing. No one smart would but an old used boat with floors or transom made of wood. It's just not smart.
    don't really understand this post,as alli ss stated there are tons of boats out there today being used that is mostly wood.
    keep them dry, they are just as safe as todays new boats and will last a long time.jmo
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

13. Member
    It's got plenty of wood in it and it will rot. Floors, transom, stringers and decks have plywood in them and any opening through the floor like the drain and the seat pole holes were not sealed just bored and left.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ethand View Post
    don't really understand this post,as alli ss stated there are tons of boats out there today being used that is mostly wood.
    keep them dry, they are just as safe as todays new boats and will last a long time.jmo
    I agree. There a plenty of old boats that are dry as a bone....but there are also plenty that a rotting from the inside out...and it's tough to figure out which is which.
    The key is inspection the boat very carefully for signs of neglect. (i.e. ANY unsealed mounting holes etc in transom area). If there is a soft spot in the floor....that is an immediate sign to "walk away" imo.
    If I were looking at an old boat...I'd be looking for a garage kept boat. Boats that are routinely wet-slipped and/or stored outdoors...are far more likely to have some water damage.