Causes of line memory

I leave all my rods in the locker of my boat all the time for storage as I have no other option. I live in Houston, Tx. I spooled 2 new reels with invizix 12lb on Wednesday and a few last week with the same. I went fishing yesterday and noticed quite a bit of line memory already on all of them, the ones 2 weeks old were horrible. Is it the line? The heat? Something else? I'm getting sick of respooling all the time at 18 bucks a box.

Anything better or different I should try? I'm gonna move to braid if this keeps up.

2. Member
    Spray the line with KVD line and lure conditioner...problem solved.

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Perhaps take the reels off before you store the boat and take them home with you.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberdown View Post
    I leave all my rods in the locker of my boat all the time for storage as I have no other option. I live in Houston, Tx. I spooled 2 new reels with invizix 12lb on Wednesday and a few last week with the same. I went fishing yesterday and noticed quite a bit of line memory already on all of them, the ones 2 weeks old were horrible. Is it the line? The heat? Something else? I'm getting sick of respooling all the time at 18 bucks a box.

Anything better or different I should try? I'm gonna move to braid if this keeps up.
    Sunline sniper..... you will never be disappointed

5. Member
    Most fluorocarbons will have a fairly distinct memory. Storing in a cool, dry place...line conditioner...will help, but won't prevent it.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies. The only cool place in Houston is inside. I have 4 dogs and a baby so I have no good place inside that is safe that the wife will agree to. So... Sounds like I should try some braid.

Braid will work, or has been previously stated line conditioner will help, but not prevent it. FC line is horrible about it IMHO.

8. Member
    I read this with interest as I have noticed a lot of line memory on my reels as well, braid, mono or floro, casting or spin. I will let a reel spool completely out with nothing on it then bring it back in when I get on the water at times. Not sure it helps... I think it just,,, happens. I don't re-spool though. I will use it on a down rigger for smallish fish if it is particularly bad.

9. Member
    There are multiple ways to deal with it but there isn't a way to prevent it, at least to my knowledge.

When you're on the water, let all the line out of your reel (to your knot at least), don't tie a bait on, and just drag it behind your boat a ways with the trolling motor. That will straighten the line out and get rid of all the twists.

Another way is to tie your line to a pole or a tree or whatever, adjust your drag to where your line comes out fairly easily, and walk all of the line out. That will straighten it out as well.

10. Member
    Agreed with the above recs...you can also soak the line/spool in warm water for a hour or so. Granted that if you have a spool bearing it could be a hassle.

11. Member
    If you are in Houston and leaving the rods in a locker, I would guess that this is a large part of your problem. I live in Little Rock and I try to remove my rods anytime the daytime temps. start getting over 90 degrees. Those compartments getting pretty warm and if you have a cover over it, that might actually make it worse, just my opinion.

12. Banned
    Walk it out and give it steady pressure as You walk it 'in'. This also works great w/Mono for memory. It also works with Braid removing any 'wind knots' and/or if Your line (braid) 'dug in' while hooked up or on a snag..

13. Member
    Larry Nixon talked about it a little bit in this article.

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2...u-may-not-know

ive done this ever since I've read this and I've been really happy.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocephus View Post
    Larry Nixon talked about it a little bit in this article.

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2...u-may-not-know

ive done this ever since I've read this and I've been really happy.
    Aside that most "FC" lines will absorb water...at a much lower/slower pace than other monos/co-poly lines.
    Last edited by dragon1; 04-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.