2017 Z21 likes and dislikes

I'm looking at buying a new 2017 Z21with a Mercury 250 Pro XS and was hoping current owners could tell me their likes and dislikes of the model. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Shane Osborne
    Land of Oz Retrievers
    Battle Lake, MN

Search can be your friend... Most Nitro Owners LOVE their boat....

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    Search can be your friend... Most Nitro Owners LOVE their boat....

But if You do come across a 'Negative Nate' chances are He is parroting what someone else said, typed, uttered about the Nitro, and 'may' have never even been in one besides the JungleJims at BassPros...

I had great luck w/My Nitro™ but it was a smaller skiff w/a 150..

4. Member
    My name is Nate. I rode in a Z21 at the Classic and it was great! I just ordered one! The only gripe I have is some of the components are a little cheap like the cup holders. They are made of that fake plastic chrome stuff. The good news is they are a standard size and you can actually order stainless steel cup holders to replace them!

5. Member
    I can't think of anything negative or anything I would change on my z21
    2017 NITRO Z21
    250 MERCURY PRO XS
    POWER POLE BLADES
    LOWRANCE ELECTRONICS
    PRECISION SONAR MOUNTS

6. Member
    I have one on order but some things I would pick on are the plastic by the throttle that Z21 is carved in looks terrible, the bungie rod straps on front and back (I prefer the rod buckles), and the port drawer is not easily accessible with the console installed (in my opinion) but there is a reason that they are not $80,000. Also, I wish there was an extra accessory button on the switch panel. None of this deterred my decision to buy as they are minor cosmetic items and most of them can be easily changed.

Now some things I liked that you cannot change: the ride (in fairness I only have about 20 minutes ride time in one) and you can have a family picnic on the front deck

I actually like the rod straps that are standard, if installed correctly you should never have an issue. But you can always option to rod buckles if that is your thing.

Cons:
    -I agree the dual console makes it tough to get to the under console storage.
    -I'm not a fan of the stock console setup on the z20 or z21. I resolved my issues with a precision sonar bracket for my HDS 12 and a steering wheel extender. (17s lowered the seat bases which make put everything in a better position in my opinion)
    -'Im also not too sure about the center locker lights. The lights themselves are good. but they are tap lights which can be easily pushed on when in rough water. my concern would be power draw but they are leds so maybe not an issue.
    - I just can't stand domed stickers, Im working on a set of flat stickers now.

Pros:
    -The z21 rides better then the z9. Better performance over the z9.
    -The Led Nav lights are very nice.
    -Powder coated trailers look better after a year of road debris
    -The ladders are better then the Z9s.
    -The steps on the trailer are very nice.
    -Livewells are still the best out there.
    -Seats are Bad Axx.

Other then that Nitro is continuing to impress me with the updates they have made.

I think next year MY is the 40th anniversary. Be interesting to see what comes from that.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    I will also agree with the livewell, seats, and nav lights.

9. Member
    I don't like the shorten rear storage bin due to the prop storage below. I purchased a tall bin like the starboard side for$93 and it fit ontop of the prop storage screw. No need for coanglers tackle bags on the cockpit floor.Love the look and fishability, huge front deck.

I agree with that.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Interesting, any speed stats on z21 with 250 verado or 300 verado?

12. Member
    I agree with all BMCD said, a little bit of my 2 cents worth. Some of the cosmetic items are a little cheap (cup holders etc) but I don't care they are cheap to replace. The Z21 is a Top 3 best handling hull that ive ran. Ive ran them all except a Bass Cat. I see a lot of questions about hydraulic plate or not. Me personally I would strongly recommend a hydraulic 10" Atlas or Bobs with gage. This Hull acts different as you pile weight in it .
    Example: Me by myself with 1/2 tank I run my Bobs on 2 on digital gage, 2 people I run it on 1 on gage, 2 people live wells loaded .5 on gage.
    Keith Thomas
    2016 Nitro Z21
    Mercury 250 ProXS