Buzzbait rod input

What would you recommend for a new buzzbait rod. I throw 3/8 buzzbaits almost all the time. Should I go with the 7 H hammer or the 7 MH hammer? Or the 7 M ALX IKOS or should I go MH?

I've fished both rods and personally I'd go with 7'mh hammer

3. Banned
    i have the hammer in heavy and the ikos in mheavy. id use the hammer in mheavy as well.

4. Member
    I don't know hammer but I definitely like a MH for buzzbaits..

5. Member
    I use a Hammer 7H. They fish slightly lighter than their power ratings.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I've got a 7 foot heavy Hammer and it feels like it could be the most versatile rod I've ever used. I wouldn't have any second thoughts about throwing a buzzbait on it but I've never handled their MH version. It's on my list though.

7. Member
    mh or h or mag heavy depends on cover. When I'm throwing buzzbaits in Okeechobee weed lines with pads and grass around I am normally using a 7'7 Mag MH rod. On Kentucky lake, a loomis MBR843 is more like the rod of choice.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

ALX Rods Buzz7 (7' Medium) - it has the name BUZZ for a reason.

If you want more in depth info, give us a call at the factory. Be glad to talk about them while we stand there making them. 866.628-5052

9. Member
    Alex, im not sure about a medium action rod for a buzzbait. How is the backbone and power to set the hook?

If you're fishing a lot of 1/2 oz buzz baits around heavy cover, I'd go with the 7' Heavy Hammer. If you're fishing more 1/4 to 3/8 oz buzz baits and the cover isn't really heavy, I'd go with the 7' MH Hammer. Both are fantastic rods and very versatile when you aren't using a buzz bait!

11. Member
    Looks like you guys have the MH in stock.

12. Member
    Buzz 7 will work fine and not break the bank. Has plenty of backbone and tip is limber enough to load and unload for cast without swinging for a grand slam.

Quote Originally Posted by finsh'n'freak View Post
    Alex, im not sure about a medium action rod for a buzzbait. How is the backbone and power to set the hook?
    scotty34 got it. Has a good bit of backbone in it and no trouble setting the hook. We haven't had anyone say it didn't work for sure!

14. Member
    I piggy backed on this thread a little bit, but I just ordered a buzz 7 based off of Alex's recommendation. It will be my first ALX rod.

15. Member
    I too went ahead and ordered a buzz 7 ikos. It came today and I must say it isn't what I was expecting. In a good way. It is much stronger than any medium rod I have felt. Plenty of power in the bottom half of the rod. Doesn't feel as light as my Hammer rods but overall very pleased.