2014 ZX190 steering help

Got a 2014 zx190 with 175 hdpi, and when I trim all the way up its hard to turn left, not bad enough I can't drive but very stiff. I have the factory 25m prop,if I measured correctly 3 pad to prop and 8 dots on jack plate. 5400rpm's and I get around 62-64 mph out of it, 19psi water pressure. Any tips or advice on the hard steering to left? Thanks for your help.
    2014 Skeeter ZX190
    Gen 2 HDS 7's Bow and Console

"Courage is being scared to death, But saddling up anyway"

I read a similar post not too long ago on here that said to trim down a hair.

Thanks Axis, You can trim down and it will be easier but you have to trim down a lot to notice a difference
    2014 Skeeter ZX190

4. Member
    Lower your motor. A motor too high with high trim is hard to steer.
    Your speed and RPMs should not change.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

Thanks rick, I will try lower it one dot at a time and see what happens, if you don't mind me asking what do you run your pad to prop at since we have the close to the same boat?
    2014 Skeeter ZX190

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95bumble bee View Post
    Thanks rick, I will try lower it one dot at a time and see what happens, if you don't mind me asking what do you run your pad to prop at since we have the close to the same boat?
    I have the same exact boat as you. I run with 7 dots showing on the slidemaster. Wide open and trimmed out, yes its kind of hard to turn. I believe that will be every boat. Trim down a hair and slow down a hair and its like butter. Hope this helps

Thanks j-dog, i lowered it down one dot but didn't get a chance to put in water. Will test it tomorrow and will see what happens. Thanks again guys for the help
    2014 Skeeter ZX190

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95bumble bee View Post
    2012-2014 IS the same boat. In 2013 they introduced new gas caps. In 2014 they dumped the rod bungees and went with the straps. I liked the straps so much I changed my bungees out. Even replaced the one for the passenger. Long story.....
    Anyway...
    I run mine at 6 dots. Stock is 5 which is 3 3/4" prop to pad. 6 dots is 3 1/2", basically 1/4" per dot. Redline on the 175 is 6000 rpms. The 25M is really too much prop especially for heavy loads. I run a 24 Turbo TXP. I hit 67mph at 5700 rpms on a lightly loaded boat.
    Now, fully loaded with a Talon, a partner, full fuel and livewells I can still manage 60-61. For summer months I picked up a Tempest Plus 23 for better hole shot.

The deeper you run the better the handling. Less trim = better handling. Running your motor high with high trim will starve the water pickups in turns so you have to keep an eye on your pressure.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

Thanks Rick, I have dropped it down one dot and will test run it, i bought boat new and this is how it was set up, i haven't touch anything on it. i was thinking 3" pad to prod was a little aggressive, but wanted to get your guys opinion on it before i started messing a round with it
    2014 Skeeter ZX190