Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question for the Merc gurus

Just spent three days on a lake full of wood with motor in my signature. Tried hard to miss as many as possible but speedometer plugged after the first hour! Just got home and opened the flush port. It was full of debris. Cleaned that out and flushed the motor for 5 minutes. Then cleaned out the speedometer hole. Next I put the muffs on and ran the motor for a bit. Temp steadily rose up to 154 at which point I shut it down. Thing is it never started peeing. While flushing, water was coming out the pee hole but while running on muffs, it never did. Is this normal?

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

2. Member
    NO
    GETFISHED !!!

no guarantee but I have seen more than once while on muffs a water pump would not pick up enough water... when submerged it was fine.

See # 8
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=806793

I would be less concerned about the lack of pee BUT it should be peeing. My big concern is that it wants to overheat. Replace the water pump, pull the T-stats, check the compressor strainer and clean every nook and crany of the water passages then try again.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    As stated the compressor strainer needs cleaned for starters, because the "pee" opening is the discharge port for the cooling of the compressor. No pee, compressor will overheat and could lock up. The strainer must be serviced before starting the motor again!

6. Member
    I should have also mentioned, when I left the water yesterday, the water discharge was strong and the temp was 120. Just surprised it wouldn't do it on the muffs. I will go ahead and get it in for service anyway. Thanks all.

NoCAL
    2B112175

7. Member
    I just went thru the same problem on a new used 250 xs this weekend. It peed fine with hose connected too the top of the mid section but would not pick up on the muffs. I wouldn't worry about it. Go dunk in the water an crank her up.

still be a good idea to clean the strainer on a regular basis...

Did you tape off the water pick ups while on the muffs?

10. Member
    No, I didn't tape off the low water pick ups. There was a lot of water shooting out the sides and some coming out the low water holes. I can get it in the lake this weekend and watch temp and the tell tale carefully. It will be a clean lake so no issue with getting more debris. Next service, I'll get the strainer cleaned out. It's time to replace spark plugs anyway, just hit 90 hours so I can add that in to the 100 hour service.

NoCAL
    2B112175

11. Member
    Really if I were you I would follow Savages advice. If you are able I would remove the strainer the stats and the water pressure control valve then I would hook up the muffs properly or hook up at the flushing port and flush this thing out. Before you run any water through it make sure you reinstall the fuel rails so no water goes in the cylinders. I have had the misfortune to have this happen now a couple times the first time I tried to just do it one thing at a time it was several trips to the water and then the worry of possible damage when my temps didn't come up. Just get it fixed right before you are sorry.

12. Banned
    NoCal, clean the strainer NOW! You don't want to blow the compressor because you're looking at several thousand wasted if you do. It's an easy job to do, there's even a write up here.

13. Member
    I agree, clean the compress strainer at minimum. Easy job. May not make it through the next 10 hrs if not. Good write up on the procedure on the 3 liter FAQ boards

14. Member
    deleted
    Last edited by nitroman12; 04-25-2017 at 04:30 PM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroman12 View Post
    How much play on side to side motion is to too much play? I have 250 Pro XS it moves about a inch in either direction from the bottom. Its a 2014 year and I have never checked it until now. So I have no reference on how much is too much. Octane rating I know the minimum is 87 whats the Maximum. I have a gas station that sells ethanol free gas but is 91 octane. Is it better to run 87 octane with 10% ethanol or 91 octane ethanol free gas.
    Hi-jacking is not allowed. Please read the "ANNOUNCEMENT" at the top of the forum page.

16. Member
    It won't pee without closing off the low water intakes.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    It won't pee without closing off the low water intakes.
    +1

I use a piece of duct tape to cover the lower intakes when i run it on the hose.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    Did you tape off the water pick ups while on the muffs?
    Ding, Ding, Ding

I would strongly recommend following the advice Savage offered. Water pump, clean strainer, clean/inspect/test thermostats, and check/clean poppet as necessary.

While doing the Water Pump, INSPECT THE PASSAGES between the low water pickups and the base of the water pump. Wood likes to reside here...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    Taking it in for 100 hour service tomorrow. Will get everything done as well as spark plugs and lower unit. Motor is still under warranty so I just let my dealer take care of things for now.

NoCAL
    2B112175

20. Member
    They found debris in both thermostats which were replaced. Cleaned out cooling system and did everything included on 100 hour service. Cost me $1200. Provided me with the run hours for each RPM range and the cylinder compression which all looked good. Thanks for all the help and advice.

NoCAL
    2B112175

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast