RPM/Pitch Change 50hp Merc

I have a new Mercury 50hp ELPT EFI pushing a 16' Crestliner SS with a 13" Pitch Trophy Sport Stainless prop. I am just finishing break-in on the motor and seem to be able to get 5650 rpms or so max (5500 to 6000 recommended) at about 35mph. I am not real disappointed, but would chose to have closer to 6000 rpms at WOT, especially with just me in the boat.
    What might I expect from moving down to a 12" pitch Trophy Sport? Top speed is not real important. Just want to make the motor last. Most of the info, rules of thumb I have found seem to relate to larger motors/props.

Thanks

2. Member
    You could try raising the motor 1 hole to gain RPM

3. Member
    Probably around a 300 RPM gain.

4. Member
    If your hole shot is good now,I would leave the prop alone. 5650 rpm won't hurt the engine. Not to argue with Mr Jackson,but I think dropping 1" in pitch will only gain you about 100 rpm and the speed should be about the same. If anything,just try raising the engine one hole and try that. If it doesn't blow out on hole shot you will gain some rpm and speed.

5. Member
    Load the boat and test it like you'll use it most of the time. Dropping one inch in pitch should gain you 200 rpm's.

6. Member
    Thanks. When I said 'just me' in the boat it was my typical fishing load. That is why I would like to be closer to 6k rpm so I would have a little wiggle room when I did take a partner out with me. I will experiment just a little more with both loads since I am so close to where I want to be, but a 12" pitch may be in my future.

7. Member
    You can raise the cav plate up to level with the bottom of the boat but probably not any higher without a jack plate and since you have a flat bottom without a pad a plate probably won't help.

8. Member
    Just a little more info in case someone is interested. I don't think I can raise the motor any more. It is already one hole higher than the Crestliner 'factory setting' for this combo and the cavitation plate is pretty much dead even with boat bottom. I am happy with everything except the WOT rpm. Interesting that Crestliner recommends a 14" pitch for this combo, Mercury suggests a 12". My dealer originally ordered a 13" as a happy medium (they hadn't sold this combo before). Technically it is probably good enough but this is probably my last boat engine, so I will baby it if I can. A few more items to add on to get 'my' fishing machine and I will test the rpms with one and two people. If the WOT rpms aren't in the range with both setups then it looks like a move to the 12" Trophy Sport will most likely get me there. Thanks