203 owners with Talons -

Any 203 owners with Talons installed? How well does your 203 carry the talons? Any speed loss from them? I just installed mine yesterday and won't have a chance to get out fishing until sometime mid week before I head to champlain on the 30th. Worried about what to expect with these 12' wind flags.

I have a pair of 10ft Talons on my 206 with a 250 Opti - I really did not notice any difference..
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

My experience, I had one on my 202 w/250 ProXS, hole shot went from 7-9 secs down to 4-5 secs after I got rid of it. Noticable difference in handling. To low it acts like a sea anchor, too far to the sides and they will drag as the boat banks in a turn.
    Remember you're putting close to a 100 extra pounds in the very rear of your boat. Speed loss once on plane should be negligible. Stick a GoPro on the back pointed down at Talons, its all in the mounting. Good luck!

4. Member
    I put one on a 176 with a 115. Hole shot was rough. My solution for mine was a hydro foil. You should have better alternatives with a bigger boat and motor. I'm a few mph slower now but I didn't feel any difference with it dragging in turns. I won't remove mine, I live it. Wish I could add a second one.

5. Member
    I got out for 2 hours yesterday afternoon with my 3 year old son. I couldn't do any speed testing but my holeshot is still the same. Didn't suffer with them....if it did at all, its not noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    I got out for 2 hours yesterday afternoon with my 3 year old son. I couldn't do any speed testing but my holeshot is still the same. Didn't suffer with them....if it did at all, its not noticeable.

7. Member
    Nice

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    You are lucky. I lost several seconds of hole shot. I purchased a new prop this winter to try and help. We'll see how that works out. WOT lost about 3-4 mph, but truthfully, for me the trade off is well worth it. I fish way more than I drive, and they have truly changed for the better the way I fish.

9. Member
    Yeah they are awesome. The real test on speed loss will be on my trip to Champlain tomorrow where I can really run her....with a full tank of gas. We will see.

10. Member
    I put a 12 footer on mine. I don't think my hole shot was affected much, but when you spend years trying to get every last mph out of your rig, and then you lose 1.5mph top end, it does hurt a little. The trade off is boat control. It certainly has changed how I am able to fish.

11. Member
    I went to Champlain on Sunday. The weather men were way wrong with the weather and it was 37* , raining and a 15mph north wind...which is a big deal on Champlain. I had a full tank of gas, way too much tackle then I should have, and my co angler and all his stuff... with the two 12' talons, with the gas tank full I did lose a little on the holeshot...but I am also set up for top end. I did not lose anything on top end... and actually averaged a faster speed then usual in those conditions with a full tank of gas/ co angler. We averaged 68.5-69.5mph when I could really open her up in the little bit calmer area's. In the rough stuff we averaged 61-63 trimmed down to keep the bow down. Needless to say I am happy I didn't lose any top end at all.
    Last edited by 98 Elite203; 05-02-2017 at 08:42 AM.

12. Member
    I'm running two Talons on my 2000 202 DCX with a 250 XS.
    There was a difference in the hole shot but when I stepped back to a four blade I made it up quick.

I will say, my ride in rough water actually improved (three or four blade) when I added them. It was quite a bit noticeable.
    The same reason our boats ride well in rough water (hull design but also all the weight in the rear) was given another notch up with the weight of the Talons and brackets.
    Sounds crazy but it is true. I'd be curious if others with Talons felt it.