Can i just jumper power to my oil pump to reprime oil system in my Opti?

My motor is a 2005 225 HP Optimax 1B044223. I just replaced the two oil filters coming out of the compressor. Now i need to have a tech hook a pc to it and run the oil prime sequence. What ive read is it just starts the oil pump and runs it for a couple minutes. Which is all good except they want 100 dollars to do that. My thoughts are if it just runs the pump cant i just jumper power to the pump and let it run for a few minutes and done. Only thing i need to confirm is the pump 12V? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    No don't try it. The signal is a pulse, not continuous.

Also, in your google searches you might find a "throttle" method. While it will do the oil prime, it puts the motor back in full break-in mode along with double oiling. It will cost you a bunch of oil and at least another set of spark plugs. Don't do this method either.

$100 is not that bad. A local shop near me wanted 2.5 hour labor charge - $250! They said that is their minimum labor charge. I found a small engine/fiberglass shop that did it for $75.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Thanks for the info thats good to know. Does anyone know what the value of the on and off times are? I have a few controllers laying around i can program a pulsing output on.

5. Member
    It's simply is not worth the risk of damaging a $15000 motor over $100!

6. Member
    You make a valid point. A 100 dollars is nothing compared to what it will cost me to replace this motor. Thanks for all the info and help!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    It's simply is not worth the risk of damaging a $15000 motor over $100!
    Absolutely correct.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor