Banned

Pulling and reistalling gearcase

I have watched several video's on this and think I'm ready to tackle this job. I just have a question about the shifting rod.

First: The above Sticky says to put in Reverse gear to remove. Then put boat shifter in foward gear and shift rod in reverse gear. I just need to understand why? Other video's I've watched and the maintenance manual mentions nothing of this they say leave in neutral.

Second: Once the gear case is out, of how do I know What gear its in? F N R

Third: I may be doing a gear case swap that may require me to transfer the shift rod from my old gear case to my new. The maintenance manual makes it seem easy, but is this something I should do myself, or should I have a dealer do it?

Thank You for any help

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It varies by model. for your 90 HP motor leave it in fwd pull the port side belly pan and you can access the shift rod bolt. Should you need to swap the shift rod count the number of full turns while applying upward pressure on the shift rod. When installing it into the new gear case coat the threads with two stroke oil and insert it into the cover. Slide it down until it contacts the shift detent and then turn the shift rod the same amount of turns that you made when removing. Once installed push the shaft down one click to neutral and measure and adjust the height to specs.
    To tell if you are in FNR rotate the prop shaft while lifting up or pushing down on the shift rod. It will free spin in neutral and will lock in gear when it is in F or R. Measure the height of the drive shaft also to make sure they are the same. You may have to move drive shafts around also.

3. Banned
    A spare set of hands is advisable. You can do it solo, but it sure makes it easy to have a person install bolts while you hold it in place.

4. Banned
    Good info thanks.