Boat Trailer Needs Painting

Looking for recommendations for someone in the DMV (Northern Virginia area) to repaint my boat trailer. Has some minor rust issues which more than likely will need to be sanded and primed before painting. I would like to get it done immediately. Any responses/recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    2003 Nitro 901 CDX w/2021 Mercury ProXS 4 Stroke, 6" Slide Master Jackplate, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades, 22P Fury prop, Minnkota Ultrex 112

Find a body shop/restoration shop that can soda blast or sand blast it then powdercoat it

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    Automobile paint shop sells a good kit for around a hundred bucks ,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Banned
    Painting a boat trailer can be a easy, do it yourself job. Get yourself some 80 grit sandpaper to go over the rust places and some really good primer--in spray cans.

You've got to put your boat in the water at least overnight or 2 nights--to get it off the trailer.

I'd be probably going to Tractor Supply and looking for quarts of oil base enamel--and adding a hardener. Maybe they have a color that suits you. Inexpensive airliess sprayers will do a great job if you don't have a compressor and sprayer.

5. Member
    Heh heh. Minor rust. Northern Virginia. Y'all might ought to get a ball peen hammer and tap smartly around the entire trailer if it's a box frame or tube trailer to ensure structural integrity. On a tube frame trailer rust frequently starts inside.

6. Member
    Where in N. VA?
    I'm near Lake Anna and do a couple every year.

7. Member
    Fredericksburg.. I fish Lake Anna quite frequently..
    2003 Nitro 901 CDX w/2021 Mercury ProXS 4 Stroke, 6" Slide Master Jackplate, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades, 22P Fury prop, Minnkota Ultrex 112

8. Member
    Well, you are certainly close, probably within 1/2 hour.

I typically do two basic finishes, one an industrial solid color, in high-gloss, matte or satin, and the other is a high-gloss, semi-metallic finish that matches your outboard or boat glitter. With either, you can add pinstripes, insets decals and so on. Of course, the more custom you go, the more it costs.

I've had some guys get the basic paint shell done, then add their own pinstriping, and the result looked really custom.

I agree with comment #5 above. Make sure there isn't heavy rust on the bottom of the trailer before investing any money into painting.

As mentioned above, you can do a pretty nice job yourself, if you put a little time into the prep, and pick a decent paint. But if you think you want to just have it done, shoot me a message, and we can go from there.

-Tony

9. Member
    Line-X or some type bed armor?

10. Member
    Did paint my trailer yrs ago, got the rusty part out then used Rustoneum. Worked out great, still lasting. Left boat on trailer.

what's sand paper? JK, I use a Brass Wire Brush on High Speed Drill. for surface rust. gets down to bare steel Quick.. then Prime and paint.

12. Banned
    Wire brush the rust. Paint it with Herculiner.

13. Member
    Steel brush a lot more durable than a brass one. You have to get ALL the rust off first, then prime, then your topcoat.

Rolling bedliner on a trailer looks good to some, (not me) but doesn't help the rust at all. It is not the cure-all that some say it is. But if done properly, it can be a very durable, rubbery finish. It's the stuff to have, if you tend to walk on your trailer.

-TH