Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Evinrude G2 opinions

How do the owners like the G2? Pros/cons?

2. Member
    I am a owner now and this is my third G2, I will always have a G2 from now out unless something major changes. Great oil mileage unreal fuel mileage and unreal torque from 0 to wide open throttle.

3. Member
    If it wasn't for ranger and flw wouldn't be many g2s out there I would never own and I don't believe reliability is as good as a Mercury or Yamaha if we're that great Randall tharp would still run one

4. Member
    I owned a z21 with a Yamaha 250 HPDI...and have always swore that I would only buy Yamaha (I changed over to a mercury at the time when they were having problems with the Optimax)...recently I purchased a G2 (10 year warranty). At this point I cannot respond to reliability...but the power is amazing. I get up on plane extremely fast...and I can punch it and it pushes me back in the seat. I still will swear by Yamaha but first impressions of my G2 I am impressed...and if reliability is there for the long haul...I will be staying with evinrude.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisfarmer View Post
    If it wasn't for ranger and flw wouldn't be many g2s out there I would never own and I don't believe reliability is as good as a Mercury or Yamaha if we're that great Randall tharp would still run one
    All indications are that the G2 reliability is as good or better when compared to all others.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Tharp left Evinrude before the G2 came out..... And as far as the G2 goes, they have a better reliability status than the optipop and the sho ever did when they first came out, and yes the G1....not to mention the over all fuel and oil economy, and the awesome 600 ft lbs of torque!!! AND also the lowest emissions of any outboard.....Need I say more???
    Last edited by Bassmeister; 04-23-2017 at 09:53 AM.

7. Banned
    Hesaid in the Evinrude Johnson Forum

8. Member
    Randall that blew up a G2 on day one of the classic so get ur facts straight if u want to call me out on something

Randall that blew up a G2 on day one of the classic so get ur facts straight if u want to call me out on something
    The OP asked for G2 OWNERS to comment. So unless you run one...

10. Member
    If there so great how many elites are running them

11. Banned
    At the end of the day, a motor gets you from point A to point B. The Elites will run whatever offers the best sponsorship.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Which classic did Tharp run a G2??

13. Banned
    Things that boring up in Chippewa Flowage or you just burning time at the prison there in Stanley?

14. Member
    4 out of 110 elites run them that's not a very high percentage at all imo so they may be a great motor but if reliability is so high you would just think more guys be running them

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    "Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    At the end of the day, a motor gets you from point A to point B. The Elites will run whatever offers the best sponsorship.
    What he said...

17. Member
    Love it, buy one, ten year warranty. I have not had any problems with the two that I have owned so far. They are just plain awesome. This is how motors should perform and be build. Those other rattle traps suck compared to the G2.
    2017 Phoenix 920 ProXP, with Evinrude 250HO G2 and 8" Power Poles

18. Member
    go look at the motor for sale and parts forums go look how many blown mercs and yammies are on there
    Lowrance Pro-Staff
    Picasso Outdoors
    PowerTeam Lures
    Red Dirt Baits
    Boing Lures
    E Custom Baits
    Full Throttle Tackle

19. Member
    The dealer I use is a Yamaha/Etec dealer. He sells 4-1 Yama over etec. I asked him if etecs were as bad as the reputation. His response was nothing was as bad as the SHOs when they hit the market but they seem to have the kinks worked out if the owner will break them in correctly. He said on the etec line other than the early 225s he did not see any significant issues. He is still not a fan of the G1 225 but said it is not like the early ones. As for the G2s he has only sold 8 of those and replaced LU on one and other than that no issues. He said for new technology from what he has seen and talking with other dealers the G2 has been pretty much issue free. He did say he put 2 kids through college working on the F225s and Etec 225s.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    How do the owners like the G2? Pros/cons?
    Just take one out and see for your self how they run and respond when you tell it to, unreal torque. If you are ever down Ky way I would be happy to give a demo ride and that goes for any one considering a G2 or Ranger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast