Rub rail light ?

A while back my rub rail got cut in two about 36" up from the rear on the starboard side. I have a replacement insert but haven't gotten it installed yet. I have been thinking about including some nav lights for the bow and some blacklight UV along the side, all to be incorporated into the rub rail.

My question is this : When adding lights in the rub rail do you cut the entire rub rail insert in two pieces and remove a section of insert equal to the length of the light you are adding ? If it is done this way it seems like the rub rail insert will end up in several pieces after adding nave lights to the bow and UV lights to the sides. Is that how it's done ?

If it is then I may just use my old rub rail insert when I add lights.
    GETFISHED !!!

What brand boat? Can you post a picture of the rubrail? There are a couple different sizes.

3. Member
    The boat is an 08 Champion 210. I might be able to get a pic up here after while.
    GETFISHED !!!

Ok

5. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GETFISHED !!!

That is the wide rubrail...

7. Member
    I have seen some very good looking diy light rub rail installs but ive also seen some horrible installs also. Nightfishion has a really cool simple rub rail with the led already incorporated in the rub rail but they are pricey. Look on you tube for led rubrails for some ideas. Keep us posted.
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet3119 View Post
    That is the wide rubrail...

So in this pic it appears the rubrail is still one continuous length with some interior portions removed to allow for the light.
    GETFISHED !!!

Pm sent

I cut mine.put in the lights...and then took out the appropriate length...turned out great..sealed the ends up with black silicone....same rub insert as your Champion...

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Nightfishion is a good option for you to look at. I offer all BBC members 10% OFF too.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblue1122 View Post
    I cut mine.put in the lights...and then took out the appropriate length...turned out great..sealed the ends up with black silicone....same rub insert as your Champion...

Not quite understanding what you are describing. Is your rub rail insert one long continuous piece or is it completely cut into several pieces ?
    GETFISHED !!!

My insert is one long piece..I marked where I wanted them..then started at the back and removed the insert up to the point where mine would end..and cut it there...then ran my strip from there back...got that side all installed and working..Then started from there an went back around the transom and cut off what was left over...did that on each side starting from the back

14. Member
    I laid the lights right on top of the rub rail where they would need to be positioned to pass the coast guard specs. then I marked where each LED fell out on the insert part of the rail. I then drilled a hole for each light to be seen. the reason I did this on this boat is due to the fact that I cut the long hole in the previous picture in my last boat and the rub rail never seem to fit good again.

15. Member
    Here is a link as to how I did mine. I did the bow lights as well as the UV black light and a moon glow strip in the center of the boat. I got the idea from the Nightfishion system. I just didn't want to destroy my rubrail and have the big holes in it. This also helps to protect the led strips better. Below is the link. There is also a part 1 on the bow nav light install.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=708074