Question Motorguide or Minnkota

I know I'm fixing to start a firestorm, but here goes. I'm looking to upgrade to a GPS integrated trolling motor. I'd like to install power poles, but, i spend majority of time in water over 8' deep. So, I've decided to upgrade my older trolling motor.

This will be a two part question. First: Minnkota or Motorguide and why? (on a budget here, so want best for the $$). Second: Currently have 24v system on boat with 75lb TM. Would you upgrade to 36v and add the third tm battery? Or stay with 24v 80+lb TM?

thanks in advance,

Clay
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

Here's what I have on my rig: Lowrance HDS 12-Gen3, Minn Kota Ulterra 36v with iPilot system.... (does not link to GPS)

Here's a few things you need to consider. Motorguide will link to Lowrance. Hummingbird to MinnKota. MK does not offer an iPilot LINK system on a 45" shaft in a 36v system (LINK connects to GPS). Cost is more for 36v also. If the 24v system works good on your rig; why change it. Battery Weight will be less on 24v and your overall cost will also be less with 2 batteries instead of 3.

I haven't owned a Motorguide TM for over 20 years. Every one I owned in the past would always have a cable break, and seemed like it was always during a tournament. I use to carry a spare cable in my rod box. Have they improved... I honestly don't know. I've never replaced a cable in the MinnKota.

If you have Hummingbird as your GPS; then I would recommend you go with a MinnKota 24v 80# system with IPilot LINK. If you have a Lowrance as your GPS, then I would go with the Motorguide 80# 24v system. I'm not sure which Motorguide model provides the GPS link to Lowrance.

Good luck,

Ernie

3. Member
    I wouldn't own a MG if they gave me one just because of their F--- you customer service. I bought one of thier Varimax 70# for my boat, the first head lasted 2 trips then quit, when I called and spoke with one of their techs he asked me how long was I running it. I told him that I used it to move around in the coves on my pontoon boat. He says.....oh, well the pontoon boat is too heavy that's why it quit. I said exasperated, the fu----- thing IS the pontoon model!!! why would it quit?? They sent me a new head which lasted another 2 trips then crapped out at Lake Powel and pretty much ruined a long awaited trip. I had Jones build me a custom MK 80# Traxxis that works like a charm.

Love my xi5. I have only called mg customer service once.
    I had a problem with my remote. The marina doing the install stripped a screw.
    They picked up on the 3rd ring. They sent me a new remote and let me keep the old one.
    it wasn't even their fault. Their customer service is awesome
    About to start season 2 with the XI5. If I had to do it again I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Mg doesn't have the suspension system that mk does on the front end for protecting the shaft from collisions.