Merc 60hp 2 stroke 1996

Still working on this merc and checked everything I'm aware of but still runs rough at idle. It won't die so I could make some adjustments but don't know where to start? Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Yatabat, put in new plugs if you haven't already. I have the same engine 1997 and went through the same rough idle. Try adjusting the timing. On the left side you will see an adjustment screw with a lock nut, a lever that connects to throttle and to timing lever. It like mine probably has loosened up with ware. Mine idles like a new one now. Good luck

3. Member
    Can you send a picture of the adjustment you are referring to. Or let me post mine here. And yes new plugs. I ordered the service manual for this engine which should be here next week. I bet you're right on the idle timing screw. Will wait till I get the book to adjust it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yatabata; 04-25-2017 at 11:41 PM.

4. Member
    idle timming screw
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Joe54 is right. It is label Idle timing screw in your picture.

6. Member
    I'm stumped? I turned the idle timing screw with the timing light on it and did do anything? The timing marks didn't move but with the engine running that rough and the died I gave up. Tried to start it again and no go. Just waiting on the service manual now and start over. I think it's a fuel problem so going thru all the lines and fuel filter and see what I find. I rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump. The compression is good and good spark on all 3 cylinders. Using the auxiliary tank with fresh fuel. Checked the oil pump and is set on the idle mark. Checked new plugs after running and 1 and 3 clean with just a touch of oil, number 2 looked more wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatabata View Post
    I turned the idle timing screw with the timing light on it and did do anything?
    If you are turning the idle timing screw and the timing is not changing then you have more problems.

8. Member
    Thanks Strafordengineer, I read one of your answers to another simular issue on bad running merc and when I get my service manual I can systematically go through this headache. Messing with theses engines without reference is a very bad idea. First thing people do is remove the carbs and clean them but a link and sync gets all messed up. Now I think my timing is off as well. What I know is my compression and spark is good and carbs are getting fuel. Like I stated before #2 plug looks more wet than 1 and 3. 2 must be running too rich. I'll repost after I get the book and let you know how it all turns out.

9. Member
    I got my service manual and found out what I was doing wrong with the idle timing screw. I was turning it the wrong direction. It's weird but you would think to go to the left on the flywheel you would move the trigger arm the same direction. Once I did the carb sync, idle, wot carb settings and put the timing light on found I had the idle timing 7 degrees ATDC. Moved the idle timing screw so the upper trigger arm moved to the right and was able to set it at the cranking setting 2 degrees ATDC. The WOT max timing was 22 so move it to cranking setting 24 degrees BTDC per manual. This should make a big difference now that I have it setup right. Will let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

10. Member
    sure will
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Bet you're glad you came here.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Thanks Phil, well it runs allot better and does't die at idle now. Now I just need to replace the fuel hoses on motor and put it in the water to make the final adjustments. Not going to remove the oil injection but test it to make sure it is working properly now that I have the testing procedures. Book is awesome.

13. Member
    Today due to weather didn't get very far on this project but did recheck the bottom carb I had to replace the float on. After setting the float before I got my book copied the mid carb but inside of throat was dry looking compared to the upper 2 carbs. The service manual shows setting the float closer to the needle pin end of float and not the other end shown in the Seloc book. Made a big difference on the float setting. So now that's all back together replacing the fuel hoses and use my new fuel pump testing kit to see if the psi is correct from the fuel pump. I want to test everything for any idle problems before having to replace the reed valves. I would like to save that project for next fall if possible. If it is affecting the idle still will go ahead and change them.
    Last edited by Yatabata; 05-12-2017 at 07:44 PM.

14. Member
    Just updating this old post. I was on the right track all along. I took the boat in and they did a tune up. They said one of the plugs was fouled and carbs needed adjustment which I knew because I had them just pre-set. They said the timing was set right. The plugs were new but they foul quick when messing with timing. Anyway it ran great all last season except it takes a couple three starts to keep it running? Not sure what causes that but happy anyway