Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Homemade lower unit stand?

Someone has to have made a homemade lower unit stand that they use to service the water pump. Sure would like some ideas on how to.
    Thanks

I use a work mate and it works great
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Black and Decker Workmate has worked perfectly for me for years...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    I use a work mate and it works great
    $28.79 from Amazon. Cant beat that

I go mostly to local johnson/erude dealer, a few times to local merc dealer..they have on made of angle iron, that rolls up to LU and the V shape base, same height on avg that LU hangs when straight up and down vertical. and slides the V at the LU fins on sides. they have the LU pretty well ready to drop and when cradle is there just 2 bolts loose and its on the roll stand. and there's has a jack to raise n lower the V part that holds the LU fin. looks home made what they used for years, painted black of course lolo

similar to pic for idea
    Last edited by Bass AHolic; 04-22-2017 at 03:36 PM.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    I go mostly to local johnson/erude dealer, a few times to local merc dealer..they have on made of angle iron, that rolls up to LU and the V shape base, same height on avg that LU hangs when straight up and down vertical. and slides the V at the LU fins on sides. they have the LU pretty well ready to drop and when cradle is there just 2 bolts loose and its on the roll stand. and there's has a jack to raise n lower the V part that holds the LU fin. looks home made what they used for years, painted black of course lolo

similar to pic for idea
    I use the roll arounds for I/O gearcases. I can still hoist a V-6 case and put it in a workmate.

Yup. A workmate is what I use. I have been advised by Don Weed to be very careful when having the entire LU supported by only the skeg. It is easy for the skeg to snap due to the top heavy LU. I now use a couple of blocks on the workmate to hold the bullet of the LU.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-22-2017 at 03:54 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    I used something like this for a long time before i was able to afford something professional

Now i use something like this

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I have a heavy wooden table that I'm going to fashion after EP's work bench....with a slot cut in it to fit the skeg and a couple wooden blocks with a concave in one end to fit different types of l/u's.....

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You don't clamp the LU to the skeg when using a work mate. the gear housing bump is inserted below the Shop Mate wood clamps and the Cavitation plate supports it in the shop mate. I also have the proper V style LU clamp that is mounted in a vice. You NEVER support any LU by the skeg! That just warrants disaster!!

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You don't clamp the LU to the skeg when using a work mate. the gear housing bump is inserted below the Shop Mate wood clamps and the Cavitation plate supports it in the shop mate. I also have the proper V style LU clamp that is mounted in a vice. You NEVER support any LU by the skeg! That just warrants disaster!!
    Thank you.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evinrude57 View Post
    I used something like this for a long time before i was able to afford something professional

Now that's nice...where can it be found and $$?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It says SEI. but if you have a good vice in the shop, with your skills you can weld one up and make it so it swivels in the tube. I hate and refuse to work on I/O cases anymore.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Looks like a flipped up side down pedestal seat and flipped 180* .

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I definately could....snapped a pic...I'll see what the pricing is...

16. Member
    That SEI stand is an exact copy of one originally designed by Bob Kerr Tools in FL. Ive used both the original Kerr and the SEI copy and there is not a significant difference in quality between the two. The stand is technically 3 pieces: the pedestal, the tool holder base, and the lower unit fixture. The 4 bolts at the top hold the tool holder base to the pedestal so the tool holder could actually be mounted to a work bench rather than the pedestal.

The pedestal and the tool holder could be easily copied with some steel and a welder. Although the lower unit fixture is aluminum and much nicer then anything homemade i had used. It is lightweight, strong, easy to keep clean, and has nice smooth round edges to prevent damage.

I am a pro and have an account to buy direct from SEI, i believe the dealer cost of the whole package was about $450. If you want to save some money and build some of it yourself you can buy just the lower unit fixture for it was either $200 or $250, cant remember exactly, and build your own base. I bought it about 2 years ago and have used it about every day and has been an excellent investment.

Also being an exact copy of the Bob Kerr if you work on small outboards, I/Os, or rebuild powerheads, bob kerr tools makes all sorts of different attachments that fit in the same base tool holder which adds some versatility to the system.
    Last edited by Evinrude57; 04-23-2017 at 11:28 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evinrude57 View Post

I made one like this with angle iron and pipe to fit on the work bench. I also made one to fit in my receiver hitch, about waist high, works good at the lake.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    Someone has to have made a homemade lower unit stand that they use to service the water pump. Sure would like some ideas on how to.
    Thanks
    Look up Kerr's marine tools. I made the bench holder and the lower unit holder.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I have a heavy wooden table that I'm going to fashion after EP's work bench....with a slot cut in it to fit the skeg and a couple wooden blocks with a concave in one end to fit different types of l/u's.....
    Cheap, and working great for forty years !! Good Memory Mike...

20. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I believe I'll just make one....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast