Merc 150 4-stroke trim

I'm new to merc engines but have had quite a few boats. This motor doesn't seem to trim far enough when running fast. The analog gauge in the dash doesn't make it to 1/4 and stops and it won't pull the front of the boat out of the water. I've had 4 different props on it and the last one (bravo 1 FS 20p) is the best so far at getting the boat higher but still isn't anything wonderful. This is on a 2016 Lund 1875 impact. The cav plate is 2.5" above the bottom of the boat but there is no way I can trim far enough to cavitate the prop at all. Does this sound like something not programmed correctly during dealer setup? I did order a mercmonitor gauge from European to get rid of the junk stock one. It just seems like I'm missing something with this setup. I have had all yamaha motors on past boats and they all ran best a bump or two in from cavitation

I just went out and measured the trim angle from all the way in to full trim the motor only moves 10.5 degrees. The spec off of Mercury's website shows 22 degrees of trim movement so I do have something messed up here.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I also have the 1875 impact with a Merc 150. I also trim to 1/4 when running on plane. I will be replacing the aluminum prop with a SS prop this season so that may make a difference.

4. Member
    I'm no pro so this may be wrong, but I think it just needs to be programmed. I just bought a '17 150 4 stroke and programmed mine through my mercmonitor. I'm not sure if the calibration just calibrates the gauge or will actually limit the travel of the trim/tilt but it's easy and worth a try. On mine I just pressed the mode and back light button for 3 seconds to enter programming mode. you set 0 (full down), 10(full trim), and 25(full tilt). You can read the smartcraft programming manual online.

Thanks I'm anxious to get a mercmonitor gauge in the boat and see if it changes anything

6. Member
    My impact with the tempest plus 19p will trim 1/4 but it runs perfectly fine.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

A pic of my trim gauge as far up as it goes when running
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Better re-check that trim angle measurement... should be right at least 20 degrees. If not, see your Mercury Dealer.

Trim sender and gauge read the ENTIRE Trim and Tilt range (unlike some other brands). Hence, full TRIM will often read somewhere in the 1/4-1/3 range on the gauge.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Shane Douglas Fishing
    how do i get my trim to adjust out more with a smart craft gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by lkjtackle View Post
    how do i get my trim to adjust out more with a smart craft gauge?

There is nothing you can do to increase the amount of trim movement on a 150 with the smart craft gauge. Only the dealer can do that

11. Member
    My Merc 4s 75 HP has done this exact same thing from day 1, trim up till I start getting a little hop then doesn't trim down, have to come off plane, then trim down. I just know where to stop now and that is how I have been operating it. Guess I need to take it in, might wait till the winter. OOPS, sorry wrong thread!!
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex