Ranger Z519 chine walking

17' Z519 225 pro xs 24P fury prop (no plugs.) full tank of gas both live wells full and loaded down with all my gear. No passenger with me It started chine walking very bad around 66MPH got worse as i sped up to 70mph not able to drive it out for sure. Motor was trimmed a tad over 3/4 up. I didnt even look at my RPM's it was so bad i just let out and forgot to look at rpm gauge I had just finished 1st hr on break in cycle and had to hurry up and leave. My P2P is 2 3/4" which was set from factory. I checked it last night. Wish I had thought to glance at my gauge, but If my RPMs are in spec at WOT should I be looking into lowering my motor or raising it to stop chine walking. And should I experiment with adding prop plugs?

2. Member
    If the prop doesn't slip coming out of the hole, full throttle, then there is no need to add plugs. The plugs have no effect when up on plane. Usually you would raise the engine to help with chine, but, without knowing your RPM and water pressure.......
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Member
    If you steering is tight,and it probably is on a new boat,then all you need is more seat time. You need to learn how to drive it. You can't drive through chine walk,you have to learn how to prevent it from happening. If there is an experienced driver near you,have them go with you to show you how.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    If you steering is tight,and it probably is on a new boat,then all you need is more seat time. You need to learn how to drive it. You can't drive through chine walk,you have to learn how to prevent it from happening. If there is an experienced driver near you,have them go with you to show you how.
    i have considered what you said and everyone has told me that I can get it set up to avoid the chine walk. At least to where its not so bad Not trying to get max speeds just want it to go what its supposed to without feeling like its goin to throw me out of the boat. I have had a nitro, triton and procraft and never had any of them do it this bad. Friend of mine has drove rangers for 25 years and told me he has always been able to adjust his to run 70 mph + smooth and could even take his hands off wheel if he wanted to. And started out as bad as mine. Sales manager at dealership has new ranger and got his set to where it does great too. I will definitely take your advice and spend some time behind the wheel but theres no way the way this boat is tight now is as good as its going to get. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    If the prop doesn't slip coming out of the hole, full throttle, then there is no need to add plugs. The plugs have no effect when up on plane. Usually you would raise the engine to help with chine, but, without knowing your RPM and water pressure.......
    Ok thanks. Next time I take it out I will check water pressure and rpm for sure. Plan on adjusting 1/4" increments at a time. If I cant get it I will post info.

6. Pat Goff
    You might think your boat it broken.
    It's not.
    Go find a seasoned pilot to spend a half hour teaching you to drive, or spend the next six months wondering what's wrong.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    You shouldn't have been trimmed up past halfway with only one hour on the motor.

8. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    It's not.
    Go find a seasoned pilot to spend a half hour teaching you to drive, or spend the next six months wondering what's wrong.

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

9. Member
    Try to balance your weight move your heavy gear to the passenger side of the boat. im dealing with that issue on my niro and its getting better every run. the more you trim up the less pad you will have in the water. its like trying to balance your weight on a 1x1 apposed to a 2x4 board if you have a jack plate use more lift and less trim . most important wear a good life vest and always hook your kill switch up good luck

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    It's not.

Or 4 years like me!

11. Member
    They're not set up correctly if they're not walking
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

12. Member
    Load balance? Trim angle?
    Last edited by hawg whacker; 05-04-2017 at 10:09 PM.

13. Member
    Seat time..................

Set up is good now. Lowered motor a 1/4" and put heaviest gear on port side no chine walking now. WOT - 71 mph/5850 RPM/25 PSI/ 3" P2P. Thanks guys I Appreciate everyones input.