Fortrex 112: US2 or no?

Howdy folks:

I'm ready to buy a new Fortrex 112 and have a few questions about the US2...

-When coupled with a compatible sonar unit, does it work well?
    -Does the transducer protrusion bonk into rocks, stumps etc? My boat is a river jet that is used for fishing shallow, rocky rivers for smallies. There are occaisonal deep pools in the river and we have a bunch of electric-only lakes in NJ where a forward sonar would be used
    -If you didn't get the US2, do you wish that you had?

I'm more concerned with smacking into rocks than the extra $100.00. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.

2. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    The last three that I have had have been US2's..........................have had both Humminbird and Lowrance hooked up to them and never a problem...............the US2 will take "smacking" into rocks better than a ducer' hanging off of the bottom of the motor without any kind of protector...........................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

3. Member
    There is probably an added cost of an adapter cable from TM to unit. In terms of sonar performance, would be same as external 83/200khz transducer.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    The sonar in the unit is a standard 83/200 unit. In my experience, it is a good as the OEM sonar. With it built in, it can take more abuse. This lends the question on if you want sonar up front, or Down Imaging. If DI is wanted, the US2 is useless. The price difference is $100.00 for the US2 and $34.95 for the adapter.
    If you havn't pulled the trigger, I can ship either unit to your door.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]